[Solved] Physical drive moved to new PC, W7 guest display stuck at welcome screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tk_
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7, XP

[Solved] Physical drive moved to new PC, W7 guest display stuck at welcome screen

Post by tk_ »

Hello,

Sorry for the long post..

For unimportant reasons, I had to move my second physical hard drive (which holds my Windows 7 VM) from one PC to another. Both PC's are Windows 10.
On the new PC after installing the current version of VB, I used the Machine/Add... to add my W7 VM located on that moved hard drive (the VM worked flawlessly with 3D acceleration enabled on the old PC).

Upon starting and then logging into the VM on the new PC, the display for the VM gets stuck at the Welcome screen and the spinning donut freezes. The interesting thing is the Preview window in Virtualbox Manager shows the live VM and shows me logged in. If I carefully move my mouse around the stuck Welcome screen on the VM, I can see that activity in the preview window. For example, if on the VM I move my mouse to where the Start button would be and click, I can see in the Preview that the Start menu pops up, even though the VM is still displaying the stuck Welcome screen. I can follow those steps to start a command prompt, and run the shutdown command. Once the shutdown is happening, that stuck Welcome screen becomes active once again showing the 'Shutting down...' screen.

I can boot into safe mode, and the display works normally.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video driver, tried different VB drivers (using the 'let me pick' option), reinstalling VB Extensions (on top of the already existing), uninstalling VB Extensions and the reinstalling. If I disable 3D Acceleration, I can get the display to 'work' sometimes with the regular (non-WDDM) driver, but everything is very jumpy --no smooth movements.

I've tried ideas I've seen from google searches like disabling shared folders, changing the CPU chipset, etc., but nothing has worked so far. I haven't been able to find a situation like mine in all the searching I've done.

Since I moved the physical hard drive, obviously the folder structure all came with it intact and unchanged (until I tried booting it up on the new PC).

So, anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

TIA,
tk_
Last edited by tk_ on 10. Aug 2018, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Physical drive moved to new PC, W7 guest display stuck at welcome screen

Post by socratis »

The issue is 99% the GPU on the new computer and its drivers. We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tk_

Post by tk_ »

Socratis,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be AFK after I upload the log, until tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
tk_

(log file deleted from post)
Last edited by tk_ on 10. Aug 2018, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:05.032478 Host RAM: 32693MB (31.9GB) total, 20856MB (20.3GB) available
00:00:08.863521 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000030000000 (805 306 368, 768 MB)
That's way, way too low for a Win7-64 guest. I'd take it to at least 2 GB, you can certainly afford it with the 20+ GB of RAM available.
00:00:09.618089 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:08.863518 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
Same with the CPUs. I'd allocate 2 CPUs to the VM.

But your biggest problem is hardening failures:
00:00:08.905416 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: cached
    rc=VERR_CR_X509_CPV_NO_TRUSTED_PATHS fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 cHits=64
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\Common Files\Entrust\ESP\eeocsp64.dll
00:00:08.905533 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting
    'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Entrust\ESP\eeocsp64.dll'
    (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Entrust\ESP\eeocsp64.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
00:00:26.250247 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
    rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
    \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_2d8cf41340a75540\nvldumdx.dll:
    WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on
    '\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_2d8cf41340a75540\nvldumdx.dll'
00:00:26.250306 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting
    'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_2d8cf41340a75540\nvldumdx.dll'
    (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdw.inf_amd64_2d8cf41340a75540\nvldumdx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible...

I'd start by uninstalling Entrust and updating the NVidia drivers...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tk_

Post by tk_ »

socratis wrote:I'd start by uninstalling Entrust and updating the NVidia drivers...
Well, uninstalling Entrust is not an option for me; however, updating the Nvidia drivers is!
First, here's the last three lines of the hardening log FWIW:

Code: Select all

56f8.50c0: Terminating the normal way: rcExit=0
235c.5acc: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[2]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 71473 ms, the end);
2510.5cd8: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 72726 ms, the end);
I didn't see any errors for the Entrust DLL('s), but I did see several? (i.e. 56f8.5ec0: Error (rc=0) ) for Nvidia DLL's.
I updated the Nvidia driver and now the VM is working!

Genius, and thank you for the help!

tk_
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Physical drive moved to new PC, W7 guest display stuck at welcome screen

Post by socratis »

I'm glad that you solved it, but... if you delete a log again, that would be definitely a big problem. Do not do it again, it's considered vandalism and it's punishable, even with a ban. The forums are used from users for users. A log, followed by an analysis pinpointing the error helps not only the OP, but other users and volunteers. If you remove the log, the analysis alone is half the puzzle.

Thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]...