Internet share between guests Windows VM's

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Sezdocs

Internet share between guests Windows VM's

Post by Sezdocs »

Hello, I have an ubuntu 18.04 as my host machine and two Virtualbox VM's, the first is a Windows 7 VM which I use to connect to my company VPN and the second is a Windows 10 machine which I use for development.

Normally both VM's have internet access via a NAT connection.

What I want to do is to share the VPN from Windows 7 VM with the Windows 10 VM, for that I thought of having two network for both VM's, one is the NAT one that already existed, and the other would be an internal or host-only network which both VM's can communicate.

So, the idea is that I normally would use the NAT network in the Win 10 VM, and when I need to access the company private network, I would disable this network and enable the internal one.

Then, I would fire the Win 7 VM and connect to VPN, an that communication I would share with the Win 10 VM via the internal network.

My question is how to do this connection sharing.

Using a host-only connection and setting a static ip, I can ping each VM, but whenever I try to enable the internet sharing feature for this network in the VM Win 7, I can't access the internet (or the private company network).

So it seems that I'm doing something wrong with my network configuration to not be able to access the internet sharing.

Finally, my question is how can I configure the network for this scenario? Most of the articles that I found online is talking about internet sharing between host and guest, but I couldn't find one which talk about internet sharing between guest and guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Internet share between guests Windows VM's

Post by mpack »

Why the Heath Robinson configuration? Why not just configure a VPN client separately for the two VMs? It would be the same as having a choice of a PC and a laptop at home.

I'd also configure both VMs in bridged mode, so that they can both behave as independant PCs.

In answer to the actual question: the two VMs would have to have a fully configured network between them, the same as if you tried it with two physical PCs. I've never done it but I'm sure Google will have the details.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

<Off-topic>
mpack wrote:Why the Heath Robinson configuration?
You got me searching for Heath Robinson! Reading about his over-complicated designs reminded me of a fantastic car commercial, The Cog. Definitely worth the 2'... ;)
</Off-topic>
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sezdocs

Post by Sezdocs »

The reason is because my company VPN only works with the Win7 VM which is a custom Windows image with the their configuration (which I don't have access) built-in into it.

Because of that, unfortunately I can't simply install the VPN inside the Win 10 machine and call it a day.

About the configuration, I tried some approaches I found in the internet but without success, I tried an internal network with static ip which I could ping the other machine just fine, but the network share internet option simply never worked for me.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

No, you cannot bridge to a VPN connection. You can only bridge to a physical NIC which has a device driver in the host OS. The VirtualBox bridging software needs to work with the device driver to achieve the sharing of the connection.
Bill
kontzBern
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian 5

Post by kontzBern »

Have Ubuntu 18.04 as well with two guest Windows on it, failed up on this too. Hadn't tried to dig into it that much, yet the mod's answer seems to be solid, you can't do that