Windows 10 Freezes when playing video in any Chrome or FF or Edge

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tekrum

Windows 10 Freezes when playing video in any Chrome or FF or Edge

Post by tekrum »

When playing video in Chrome, Firefox or Edge, the video continues to play but anything is not responding to clicks or keys until you have a chance to close the window or browser tab that plays the video.

I am on MacOS host using VB 5.2.16
Attachments
vbox.log
(89.9 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
tekrum

Re: Windows 10 Freezes when playing video in any Chrome or FF or Edge

Post by tekrum »

Also when browser is busy loading, seems some windows are not responding to clicks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:12.108169 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::DriverEntry: 3D is NOT supported by the host, falling back to display-only mode..
Your 3D acceleration is disabled. Enable it and re-install the Guest Additions (GAs) and make sure you enable the 3D acceleration in the GAs installer. Also check out gfxCardStatus, which shows you at all times if and which application uses the 3D discrete card (AMD Radeon Pro 555 or 560) on your Mac. You should be seeing "VirtualBoxVM" in that list if your guest uses the 3D acceleration.
00:00:03.491697 GUI: UIMachineLogicFullscreen::sltHandleNativeFullscreenWillEnter: Machine-window #0 will enter native fullscreen
You're running full-screen. That's going to take a toll. Try windowed mode (1280x1024), it might help.

Always shut down the VM before grabbing the log. And make sure to ZIP it before attaching it, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tekrum

Post by tekrum »

Thank you socratis. Is there a way to speed it up without using the 3D acceleration because when I have 3D enabled, this waiting to respond while the browser is loading something is not a problem, the vm guest is responsive but it uses my host high performance GPU. I don't want VirtualBox use my high performance GPU so that I can have more battery when I am outside. Also would it make a big difference when in windowed mode instead of full screen?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have high performance with low battery consumption.
  • You have to try full screen vs windowed mode. I expect it to perform better in windowed mode.
Generic rule / Rule of thumb
Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tekrum

Post by tekrum »

Thank you Socratis, but in my smaller macbook pro retina 13". Without a discreet graphic, my vm guest setting was 3d enabled and it's performing well in playing video in browser and I don't get freeze when the browser is loading a website. With 3d enabled but without discreet graphic, the battery is still better than my 15".
tekrum

Post by tekrum »

Thanks again Socratis, windowed mode performs better than full screen.
tekrum

Post by tekrum »

Hi socratis, i have now again testing 3D enabled and re-installed GA. Is there still I need to tweak for optimum performance according to my latest log attached?
Attachments
vbox.zip
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nope. Your VM is as optimized as it can be. A couple of minor (really) differences is to "Enable PAE/NX" (VM Settings » System » Processor) and increase the VRAM from 128 MB to 256 MB. That's all. I don't think they're going to make a difference. Refer to my previous "Generic rule / Rule of thumb" post.
tekrum

Post by tekrum »

Thank you I will keep that in mind :)