USB device driver not found

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jcricket

Re: USB device driver not found

Post by jcricket »

Please look at the USB not seen in guest OS.txt that I posted with the two screen shots earlier.. It should help make sense out of the last info I sent...

I will reattach it here as well .. [Mod edit; text included in the attachment placed online]
Moderator Socratis and who ever else may be watching and responding to this posted issue.

I did follow (or tried to follow to the best of my ability) your instructions, clean power on of the guest system from a power off state, After the guest OS booted and I logged into the machine. I plug in the USB device ( I heard the tweetle-dee sound) I waited a couple minutes tried to load the usb device (device could not be attached error), and then shut down the guest machine, to get the log file and zipped them for posting. When I sent the files you requested, you said that you did not see me plug in the USB device. (might be a part of the issue).

When I accessed my email from home I had left work for the weekend, I saw your response, I decided to try an install of 5.2.16 on my windows 10 machine at home to see if the install worked there. After installing 5.2.16 the same windows 7 professional OS, the Extension pack files, Extracted the 32 bit drivers to the C:driver folder Attached the Guest addition files.(USB devices not available to the OS yet) I then installed the intel USB extensiable host controller driver for both the Guest OS and the Host OS, and now when the guest system loaded I did not need any filters for the USB devices, the devices are listed in the devices menu, could be attached and they JUST WORKED...

I observed a couple of places in the overall install where "something different" occured, and I'll try to describe what I saw at each of these two identifyable points.

The first difference was during the end of the 5.2.16 on my desktop at home, a popup occured to ask for permission to install the HOST USB VBOX driver. I never saw this occur on the laptop we have been researching, where USB Devices are not being recognized. I uninstalled and then reinstalled 5.2.16 on the laptop, and still did not see this popup message. Is there a way to verify if the HOST USB VBOX Driver did in fact get installed.

The second difference is that when I installed the Intel USB Extensible controller driver on my desktop at home, it executed and THEN the guest machine loaded and any USB device I plugged into the HOST were seen in the guest OS Devices window, (without installing filters in the Virtual Box USB section), I could select and attach the device to use it.

When I tried to install the Intel USB Extensible controller on the Laptop where the USB devices are not seen, it failled to run with an error wintow saying my PC does not meet minimum requirements for this driver.

On the desktop at home, there is No policy statements in effect (other than what is standard when the OS is installed for passwords etc). On the laptop, it is joined to a corporate domain where Group policy is strictly enforced for any machine that is used on the corporate network.

And the desktop at home is running a slightly newer version of windows 10 than is running on the laptop. The home machine is running windows 10 Professional version 1803, build 17134.191. The Laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise version 1709, build.

Hope all of this helps find and resolve the issue on the laptop computer.

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Aug 2018, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB device driver not found

Post by socratis »

It's becoming boring, so it's going to be the last time I'm saying that; the driver is for Windows 7 and is meant for your guest, to enable USB3 support, not your host. Your host may or may not have that Intel controller. There is no way for me to tell whether you have it installed or not, I have to take your word for it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.