Problem with VB (2K and 98)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
nenoro

Problem with VB (2K and 98)

Post by nenoro »

Heya guys

*Anger user on*
first of all > VirtualBox is broken as hell

I met the same problem before but after update the bug went away but came back... This software is a yoyo for sure, once this problem shows i have to install Virtual PC cause better way. But now i'm not Win 10 so i can't use Virtual PC.

*Angry user off*

Okay now i meet two problems but one is the same problem.

- Windows 98 > I have this sentence who says "Illegal program blah blah and then it says a xxx.dll is missing" i never meet this problem before and i try with 2 iso of win 98...
- Windows 2K > The color mode is annoying, i put in 32 bit color mode and each time i launch my fav game, it goes back to windows and i have this message > You're running in 16 bit version try to change for 32 bit... BUT i'm on 32 bit.

So

- 1 already read the manual but i didn't find the answer
- I did some research and the only answer is > Check the manual / answer for win 7 / nothing...

Virtual disk created > 20 GB
Ram > 128 - 512 MB
Graphics memory > 64 - 128 MB
I turn on/off Acceleration 3D
I install Guest addition

like i say i have to wait a good update for playing... This is very annoying, i tried with VMWare but heh it's like VB i have to play with luck.

So can you help me to figure out without saying "Check the manual" ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with VB (2K and 98)

Post by socratis »

nenoro wrote:first of all > VirtualBox is broken as hell
I would like to welcome you to the VirtualBox user forums.
nenoro wrote:I have this sentence who says "Illegal program blah blah and then it says a xxx.dll is missing"
I don't. And so don't thousands of users that use Win98 VMs. So, unless you give us the specifics, we can't help you.
nenoro wrote:and each time i launch my fav game
Games had the tendency to think that they own the computer and they could do whatever they wanted. Unless you give us the specifics, we can't help you. For example, what's the game you're talking about.
nenoro wrote:like i say i have to wait a good update for playing
You might have to wait for a long time. Virtual Machines are not a gaming machine. Mainly because the paying VirtualBox customers don't use VirtualBox for playing games. But some gaming can be done.
nenoro wrote:So can you help me to figure out without saying "Check the manual" ?
The manual doesn't have teeth, and reading has never killed anyone so far... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.