Increasing the size of a Windows Guest drive (VBoxManage)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BobOra

Increasing the size of a Windows Guest drive (VBoxManage)

Post by BobOra »

I have a Windows 10 Enterprise 64 guest in a macOS host.

I'm trying to increase the size of a Windows Guest drive. I tried this:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/resize-virtualbox-disk/

... however:

In C:\Program Files\Oracle

... there is no VirtualBox directory. There is VirtualBox Guest Additions, but no VBoxManage command in it.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Increasing the size of a Windows Guest drive (VBoxManage)

Post by andyp73 »

Consulting a third party site and following instructions for a scenario different to yours is bound to led to confusion and potential data loss.

You have a macOS host therefore you need to run VBoxManage on there! There are instructions available here on the two step process of how to resize a drive.

If you have used the defaults for all of the directories VirtualBox uses then under your "home" directory there will be a folder called "VirtualBox VMs". In there you will find a folder for each guest you have created each of which will contain a .vdi file that is your Windows guest's drive and that is the file to point VBoxManage at.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BobOra

Post by BobOra »

Thanks for that.

Since I dragged the .vdi file into (macOS) Terminal, the spaces were already escaped, thus the following does not work: "if the path has spaces in it you will need to wrap the path in quotes.", but without quotes, Step 1 worked fine.

In (Step 2) Disk Management, there is a Recovery partition immediately to the right of the C volume that I am trying to extend (and then the new free space to the right of that). Disk Management won't allow C to be extended if the free space isn't immediately to its right (i.e., contiguous). The instructions on the web page (mentioned in the reply to my post) refer to a third party site for a tool: "Gparted Live CD" (I found reference to other third party partition managers as well). I'd prefer to not have to use a third party tool, but if that is necessary, has anyone here (other than the web page author) used and found success with "Gparted Live CD"?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You won't be using the 3rd party GParted directly on your host. You download the GParted ISO (https://gparted.org/ on the right-hand side), and then you boot your VM from that. Resize your HD and then you remove the GParted ISO and you boot your VM normally. You can then delete the GParted ISO from your host, and you'll never know it was there... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BobOra

Post by BobOra »

Apologies if I've overlooked the appropriate documentation, but I've downloaded the GParted ISO, and it shows up. On non-VM Windows machines, I'm familiar with holding down a key (F12?) while rebooting Windows, in order to boot from another source; how do I boot from the GParted ISO in my VM? thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BobOra wrote:how do I boot from the GParted ISO in my VM?
  1. You insert the GParted ISO in the CD drive of your VM. Under VM Settings » Storage » click on the CD on the left hand side to select the CD drive » click on the "Optical drive" and browse for the location of you GParted ISO.
  2. VM Settings » System » Motherboard » make sure that the Optical is before the Hard Disk in the Boot Order.
  3. Start the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BobOra

Post by BobOra »

Thank you!