Can't Increase Size Using CloneVDI

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Can't Increase Size Using CloneVDI

Post by saberman »

Windows 10 Pro X64
VB 5.2.14

I have a VM that was running out of space on its C: drive. I cloned it using CloneVDI and increased the size to 100GB. I then started the VM using the clonev drive. But when I check the size of the drive (right click on C: and slecting properties) the size was still 38.2 GB.

I then shut everything down, started CloneVDI and selected the upgraded vdi. CloneVDI said it was 100GB. I then started the VM again and checked the C: drive and it was still 38.2GB. What is goingon? How do I increase the size of the VM's C: drive?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't Increase Size Using CloneVDI

Post by mpack »

When cloning a VM which uses snapshots you clone the snapshot, not the base VDI. The standard FAQ still applies How to resize a Virtual Drive, even though you used a different resize tool.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

What does the guest Windows drive management say? Does it see the full space? By cloning the drive you effectively increased the size of the raw disk, the file system remains the same size as it was.

You need to use Windows drive management to extend the file system, example here: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master ... ition.html
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

CloneVDI has a built in ability to resize the filesystem of an NTFS partition. I'm assuming that Saberman knew to use that option, since I know he has been using CloneVDI for several years.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

Well, with the lack of detail in the original post I thought I'd throw it out there. Sometimes it's easy to forget the simplest steps.