SATA devices do not boot?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Azagaros

SATA devices do not boot?

Post by Azagaros »

I do not know what is going on. I am trying to install freedos 1.2 on either a windows based virtual box or a Linux(fedora) based system. Something is causing an error on the freedos12 live cd. It looks like a code crash on a hardware abstraction. The legacy cd hangs in a hardware abstraction point it appears. It is learning about the machine. It hangs with no activity for a long time. If try to make reactos cd boot on session, it tells me there is no boot media of any form when I have bootable media clearly attached by more than one virtualization system. Something is wrong with the SATA or block io streams in Virtual box. I am trying to make this go with virtualbox 5.2.16 the latest version on windows 10 or Fedora 28 or newer. I am trying to get a freedos platform and would like to use virtual box to boot media without issue on either platform. So can someone help me out or am I seeing a bug in something?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: SATA devices do not boot?

Post by BillG »

Why do you have a SATA drive? What did you choose as Type and Version when you created the vm? It you select Other and DOS you will get an IDE drive.

Easier still, do it this way. The OS is already installed.

https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/vi ... age_id=154
Freedos.PNG
Bill