[Solved] Critical error - the machine execution has been stopped

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Barbse

[Solved] Critical error - the machine execution has been stopped

Post by Barbse »

Hello,

I am using VirtualBox version 5.2.12.
Host - Windows 10 (64-bit)
Guest - Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)

I was installing WinZip on the VirtualBox when a message for a critical error appeared. Now, rebooting Windows XP triggers a critical error/Guru meditation dialog box during loading Windows in normal mode and virtual machine execution is stopping immediately. I am attaching the log file.

Any ideas on what to do would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.zip
(54.5 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Critical error - the machine execution has been stopped

Post by andyp73 »

00:00:01.969026   VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000001200000 (18 874 368, 18 MB)
You have plenty of spare RAM on your host. Increase this to 64MB or 128MB.
00:00:01.969191 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
You need to enable VT-x in your system's BIOS - your Intel i5-7200U CPU definitely supports it. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this. Also, make sure that nothing else has an exclusive hold on the VT-x.

-Andy
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Barbse

Post by Barbse »

Many thanks for your reply Andy!

I increased the RAM to 64MB and will try to enable VT-x as you recommended. Will have to ask a friend tomorrow how to do this... :)
I will let you know if I still cannot load VirtualBox.

BTW, I had previously setup a VM (also Win XP) in VirtualBox and it was working fine for a month. Can't figure out why this happens now.
Barbse

Post by Barbse »

Thanks again, Andy; I followed your instructions and it works now!

It just takes too long to boot and to shut down. Also, just before booting, a magenta-blue screen pops up.
Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?
I am attaching a log file in case this helps.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(24.01 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

On the contrary, the log shows a successful boot in 20 seconds or so, including loading the GAs. Anything it was doing after that was busy-work inside XP. Also "takes too long" is relative - I have no idea what normal execution time is for you. What are you comparing it with? This VM has only been given a single core, so of course it's going to be laggy. Unfortunately XP doesn't like you changing that after its been installed.
Barbse

Post by Barbse »

Thanks for your reply.
I was comparing it with the time needed when previously loading Win XP on this VM. I decided to uninstall Avast, after reading another post, and all works much faster now.
Many thanks to all for your replies!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.