W10 Remote Desktop does not connect to VRDE

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SchweizerGarde
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS/2, DOS, Windows XP, Windows 10

W10 Remote Desktop does not connect to VRDE

Post by SchweizerGarde »

Hi all,
I just tried to connect to a headless VM running W10 1803 32bit as guest on a W10 1803 64bit host. When enabling MS Remote Desktop in guest, mstsc.exe on the host connects w/o problems. RDP on guest was listening on port 3389 TCP and UDP.

Now on guest: I disabled W10 RDP, set VRDE to ON with all default properties including port 3389. mstsc.exe on host could not connect using the same address as with RDP and stopped with the usual message "Remote access to the server is not enabled." A first check shows: On the guest there is no process listening on port 3389. Changing the port number to 5009 gave the same result. Could this be the problem?

So I'm looking for some advice how to proceed?
Best regards
SG
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: W10 Remote Desktop does not connect to VRDE

Post by andyp73 »

When you connect to the Microsoft Remote Desktop in the guest you use the guests IP address. When you connect to the VRDE you need to connect to port 3389 on the hosts IP address.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
SchweizerGarde
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS/2, DOS, Windows XP, Windows 10

Re: W10 Remote Desktop does not connect to VRDE

Post by SchweizerGarde »

Thanx Andy,
this did the trick.

So AFAIK now the VRDE server is implemented as part of the Vbox Engine on the hosts. It than connects to the VM using VRDP on the guest using Vbox internal communication. So in case of a remote machine, the Vbox Engine is running on that remote machine, too. So basically, I could use a localhost address as long as I connect with mstsc.exe on the same machine.

Does mstsc.exe than handles keyboard, mouse, clipboard, printer sharing and USB sharing as usual?

BTW: When I shutdown the guest, an error is thrown. See attachment. What do you need to follow up?
Attachments
Show an error message from Windows!
Show an error message from Windows!
Capture.PNG (7.16 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Best regards
SG