Weird Black Borders when trying to play a game on Win 7 VM Virtualbox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Naser

Weird Black Borders when trying to play a game on Win 7 VM Virtualbox

Post by Naser »

Hey guys,

Kudos to the developers for an amazing virtual machine software and for the admins and mods of this forum for maintaining this forum.

I have spent multiple hours thoroughly searching for my problem on Google, this forum, and other relatable sources and couldn't find a solution. This is a desperate cry for help. I'd really appreciate any help.

I run Windows 10 and use Virtualbox to run Win 7 as Win 10 wasn't supporting some old games (Mortimer Beckett series, to be precise; nostalgia is a big reason). Those games run in my virtual machine but they appear windowed (with black borders when VM is in full screen and white borders when VM is in Window mode) even when full-screen options selected. This is driving me nuts.

I did record a video explaining my issue and uploaded it to dropbox. Please have a look:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70ycviesex0x9 ... e.mp4?dl=0

Please help me.
Naser

Re: Weird Black Borders when trying to play a game on Win 7 VM Virtualbox

Post by Naser »

Anybody, please?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Weird Black Borders when trying to play a game on Win 7 VM Virtualbox

Post by socratis »

If you have enabled 2D/3D acceleration in the VM settings, and you've installed the Guest Additions, then you may simply have to live with it. Games aren't exactly virtualization's forte...

But just to be sure for the above, we're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.