[Solved] Network unavaiable on xp

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
gtsolid

[Solved] Network unavaiable on xp

Post by gtsolid »

Hi everyone.
I just installed a XP VM copy but i see no network devices. I set a bridged connection, 'cause i want an IP in my VM.
The list into network devices is simply empty, as you can see in the attachment.
what can i do? i'm currently using the host W10 with internet connection to write to you
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Immagine.png (112.2 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jul 2018, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Network unavaiable on xp

Post by BillG »

The attachment does not show no network devices. It shows a bridged adapter with two options.

How does the host machine connect to the Internet? If you have an ethernet cable connected to the Realtek NIC select that option for your bridged adapter.

Here is a screenshot of my XP connected to the Internet using a bridged adapter and its network settings.
WinXP.PNG
Bill
gtsolid

Post by gtsolid »

Hi Bill,
I have a Yoga laptop, with only USB C I/O, so it's connected with ethernet cable using an ASIN B075LFZV5D as adapter
In the host machine i use the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.
In the client i don't report any network adapter
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gtsolid wrote:In the host machine i use the Realtek USB GbE Family Controller.
Try to Bridge to that.

And second, I don't see what network card you chose for your guest. The default should be "Intel PRO/1000 T Server", I hope that you didn't change the proposed defaults. Because from your screenshot I don't even see a network adapter in your WinXP VM.

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gtsolid

Post by gtsolid »

socratis wrote:The default should be "Intel PRO/1000 T Server",
that was the point. now i solved, thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Marking as [Solved].
That's what happens when you mess with the suggested defaults for no good reason... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.