Windows 98 won't play MIDI or AVI files

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ythaenagor

Windows 98 won't play MIDI or AVI files

Post by Ythaenagor »

Yesterday I set up Vbox for the first time and installed Windows 98. I did it specifically to attempt to play a game that I have on a CD-ROM (The Rocky Interactive Horror Show, if it makes any difference) and the installation of the game went fine. However, when I play the game, it is totally silent and cutscenes that should appear are skipped. I have played the game on the old windows VMs before they stopped supporting them, and it had background music and frequent cutscenes, including a cutscene that is supposed to play immediately upon starting. There are also some that play when an item is collected, but getting to a point where they should play just freezes the game until I quit back to menu. I went through the data on the disk, and the music is stored as MIDI and all of the cutscenes are stored as AVI videos. What can I do to make these playable? The host OS is Windows 10, and I am using Vbox version 5.2.14 from what I can tell.
@moderators: you can delete this account if you want, because I'm never going to use it again
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 98 won't play MIDI or AVI files

Post by socratis »

Read the last message of the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60231#p285329
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.