XP SP3 in VBox and mouse cursor

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SurgeonX1
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP SP3

XP SP3 in VBox and mouse cursor

Post by SurgeonX1 »

I use in Win 7 WBox mit Win XP SP3.
In one system the red mouse cusor comes with a white symbol of sandglass;
I dont know why, this is not from windows.

Any idea ??
Loss of moral attitude is start of evil.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: XP SP3 in VBox and mouse cursor

Post by mpack »

"red mouse cursor"? I have no idea what that refers to. Make sure the Guest Additions are installed.

If you need to continue this conversation then please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
SurgeonX1
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP SP3

Post by SurgeonX1 »

In Win XP SP3 you get some mouse cursors to choose. But you can use others by copy into the folder cursors. So I chosed a red one. But by that there comes a white sandglass symbol directly attached to the red arrow.
And I do not know why or where it comes from !
I does not come by system Win XP.

By that the whole system VBox and Windows XP works normal without faults.
Loss of moral attitude is start of evil.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It most definitely doesn't come from VirtualBox. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Every application in Windows can define it's own custom cursors, include custom busy cursors if it wants. That may be what is happening here.

If the log file I asked for had been provided I may have been able to do more than just speculate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Every application in Windows can define it's own custom cursors, include custom busy cursors if it wants.
True, except that VirtualBox doesn't define its custom cursors, it uses the system/user's defaults.
mpack wrote:That may be what is happening here.
According to the user, they provided their own cursors:
SurgeonX1 wrote:But you can use others by copy into the folder cursors. So I chosed a red one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I am talking about programmers creating their own cursors with a resource editor, and embedding that resource in their apps. I'm not talking about users selecting fancy cursors in a dialog. Also, I'm talking about standard of Windows, not what VirtualBox provides.

VirtualBox may override the cursor if cursor integration is enabled. Before I speculate on that I first need to know if the GAs are installed.