Game Suddenly Stopped Working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
hazyeyed

Game Suddenly Stopped Working

Post by hazyeyed »

Have been using VirtualBox to play an old game GunZ the Duel with no issues for probably about a month now. I tried it just a few days ago with no problems. Then suddenly I started getting black screens every time I booted it up, or it just loads in and when I try to maximize the game the desktop just freezes. I was thinking maybe VirtualBox got an update or the game got an update but a friend of mine who showed me how to do this is not having any issues. Also I do not believe the game has got an update. It does load fine on my main desktop however this is not ideal for me, and there is no real support for this game as its very old. I've installed a few programs on my computer from Microsoft but nothing much that I would think would effect this, but I can't think of anything else as to why these issues started.

I've tried restarting computer and running it with nothing else on my main desktop. Tried deleting the VirtualBox and creating a new one from scratch reinstalling the Windows XP OS, Direct3D and the game. Tried reinstalling VirtualBox.

I have installed "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" the Direct3D and the other option.
I am running Windows 7 64 bit host and Windows XP 32 bit guest with 1668 MB RAM on my host and 1404 MB RAM on my guest (3072 total)
In settings>display I have video memory set to max (128 MB) and 3D Acceleration checked on. The one thing I noticed is I believe that before I remade my VirtualBox I BELIEVE I had 2D Video Acceleration checked on, and now I cannot check it is stuck greyed out.

Sorry for the long post, wanted to be as clear as possible.
Attachments
vBoxHardeningLog.rar
(25.63 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
vBoxLog.log
(85.32 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Game Suddenly Stopped Working

Post by andyp73 »

I see from the log file that you have updated to VirtualBox v5.2.14 (the current version as of your post). Your log file also shows:
00:00:07.456374 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
Your Intel Pentium E2180 was launched 11 years ago and doesn't support VT-x which is an ever increasing requirement moving forward.

You may get somewhere by running the following command when the guest is shutdown:
VBoxManage modifyvm <machine name> --hwvirtex off
If that doesn't work then you may have to work backwards to find a version of VirtualBox in which it works.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
hazyeyed

Post by hazyeyed »

OOOOOH So it may have to do with updates? Thank you so much for the reply, I will try this and report back tomorrow.

Also i'm upgrading to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor 3.0GHz does this help? it's still a LGA775
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jul 2018, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@hazyeyed
You RARed one log, why not the other? It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)

You have an unusual high number of references to 'C:\Windows\system32\OPENGL32.dll' in your VBoxHardening.log. Did you update your drivers recently?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

hazyeyed wrote:Also i'm upgrading to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor 3.0GHz does this help? it's still a LGA775
Yes, the Q9650 is a better option. It has four physical cores and VT-x so should run the latest VirtualBox versions.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
hazyeyed

Post by hazyeyed »

andyp73 wrote:You may get somewhere by running the following command when the guest is shutdown:
VBoxManage modifyvm <machine name> --hwvirtex off
If that doesn't work then you may have to work backwards to find a version of VirtualBox in which it works.
Okay, so I installed the VirtualBox Extension Pack, opened cmd as admin tried that command and got
" 'VBoxManage' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. "

So I tried
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm <Machine Name> --hwvirtex off

and that went through without any error but no confirmation message or anything, I have no clue if that's actually correct or not if you can tell me that'd be great
socratis wrote:@hazyeyed
You RARed one log, why not the other? It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)

You have an unusual high number of references to 'C:\Windows\system32\OPENGL32.dll' in your VBoxHardening.log. Did you update your drivers recently?
to be honest it took me several attempts to "RAR" it I wasn't really sure how haha and I only did so because the "VBoxHardening.log" was too large to upload.

drivers on my host should be all updated I believe..... however when I was installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 I also was trying to install windows driver kit for it and I ended up getting some odd Windows Driver Kit ISO from the Microsoft website that wasn't what I needed, now having trouble uninstalling it why do you ask?
andyp73 wrote:Yes, the Q9650 is a better option. It has four physical cores and VT-x so should run the latest VirtualBox versions.
Thanks Andy
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

hazyeyed wrote:I have no clue if that's actually correct or not if you can tell me that'd be great
The command succeeded, otherwise you'd get an error, like the 1st time. You won't get a "Bravo!" message at the end of a successful command. ;)
hazyeyed wrote:to be honest it took me several attempts to "RAR" it
Right-click, Send to, Compressed (zipped) Folder. ;)
hazyeyed wrote:I ended up getting some odd Windows Driver Kit ISO from the Microsoft website that wasn't what I needed, now having trouble uninstalling it why do you ask?
No, I wasn't asking about that, although this may be a clue, that somehow the default OPENGL32 was replaced by the WinDDK toolkit one. Not a far-fetched thought...

I take it that you don't have any backups of your host/guest to restore from, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hazyeyed

Post by hazyeyed »

Aha I didn't expect a bravo just maybe some confirmation :lol:

Ohh, really? ....no I don't have any backups :(

Is there any other way to fix it or am I screwed?
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jul 2018, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

hazyeyed wrote:Is there any other way to fix it or am I screwed?
Fix ... what exactly? A "botched" Win/<YourOShere> installation? Not that I know of. In most of the cases an OS re-install followed by backups, and best practices is the best/only way. And paying attention to what you install and what it might do to your host (mainly). Your VM should be OK if you don't mess with it.

FWIW, I just re-installed my Win10 host because it didn't want to "cooperate"...
hazyeyed

Post by hazyeyed »

Fix my (Windows7) "OPENGL32" ? Or whatever you were referring to i'm not very computer savvy I assumed you were ... wouldn't the problem persist throughout my host though why would it create a problem only with VM? Yeah I thought I knew what I was installing it just wasn't the right thing. Yes... my VM seems to be ok other than this problem

Oh no yeah i'm not about that reinstalling windows is a pain. No fun at all :|
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jul 2018, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
hazyeyed

Post by hazyeyed »

reinstalled windows still having same problem, where do I go to get older VB versions?
alice_123

Post by alice_123 »

Few things which are in highlight nowadays like applications designed for Windows XP and Windows 98 or DOS, may stop to function.
In this case, it comes down to a game of trial and error. While some games and software can be influenced by life using Windows 10 built-in compatibility modes, others will require special system tweaks, patches, or emulators.