Access guest Windows XP filesystem from Ubuntu host.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
NERV Agent

Access guest Windows XP filesystem from Ubuntu host.

Post by NERV Agent »

I know how to access a folder on the host machine (Ubuntu) from the guest machine (Windows XP), but how do I do the reverse?

I need Ubuntu to access "C:\Windows" on my virtual machine from my host environment.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Access guest Windows XP filesystem from Ubuntu host.

Post by andyp73 »

Your best, in fact possibly only, option is to share the folder in Windows XP using its standard sharing mechanism and then mount it as a disk in Linux.

I'm not sure why you would want anything to have access to the key Windows directory that isn't Windows. It strikes me as a catastrophe waiting to happen.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
NERV Agent

Post by NERV Agent »

How do I got about doing that?

There is an important file in "C:\WINDOWS\system32" that I must edit "from the outside".

Don't worry, I'm not trying to pirate software because I actually bought my Windows XP 64-bit disc.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

NERV Agent wrote:Don't worry, I'm not trying to pirate software because I actually bought my Windows XP 64-bit disc.
Please don't feel you are being accused of pirating software. I was more concerned about files inadvertently getting deleted and then the guest not booting.
NERV Agent wrote:How do I got about doing that?
The short version is: In Windows, right-click on the folder in Explorer and select the option that talks about sharing (I don't have my XP guest to hand). You'll need to set appropriate permissions. In Linux you will need to use the mount command with the "-t cifs" type and then other path information.

The longer version of the answer is probably to use a search engine and look for "share Windows XP folder" and "mount windows share in Linux".

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It should perhaps be mentioned that in order to share a folder over a network with your host, the VM and the host need to be on the same network. Effectively that means that the VM must be configured for bridged or "host only" networking, not NAT.