NO INTERNET in VirtualBox Windows XP 64-bit

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
NERV Agent

NO INTERNET in VirtualBox Windows XP 64-bit

Post by NERV Agent »

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I've scoured Google and people keep telling me to download Intel's "Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP*, Final Release" (I'm not allowed to post links). There are 2 installations, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit and NEITHER of these installations fixed the problem!

I tried messing around with NAT and Bridged and different adapter types, NOTHING! I've scoured Google and even YouTube. Every "solution" doesn't even work!

How do you get a Internet connection with this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NO INTERNET in VirtualBox Windows XP 64-bit

Post by socratis »

NERV Agent wrote:people keep telling me to download Intel's "Network Adapter Drivers for Windows XP*, Final Release"
If you stayed with the template defaults (Intel PRO/1000 T Server, NAT) you shouldn't need to do anything, the drivers are already there, WinXP should find it automagically and the network should work right out of the box.

If you can ping your "DefaultGateway", if you can ping "1.1.1.1", if you can ping "download.virtualbox.org", VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc.

For WinXP specifically, the security certificates have expired about 10 years ago, so if you're trying the "Internet" with a browser, don't keep on looking, it ain't going to work with the defaults. Look for a browser called PaleMoon...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NERV Agent

Post by NERV Agent »

I sent ping packets to 1(dot)1(dot)1(dot)1 (I can't post URLs for some reason) as well as download(dot)virtualbox(dot)org and it seems like packets were sent and received.

The results are here:

pastebin(dot)com(slash)zGchVBEZ

As for my host machine, I am using Gufw Firewall in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I can't wrap my head around what has gone wrong.

UPDATE: PaleMoon worked!

But I still can't activate Windows, and it's gonna "self-destruct" in 29 days. What do I do?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

NERV Agent wrote:(I can't post URLs for some reason)
Most likely because you are still in the anti-spam membership period. One of the admins will tidy it up I expect.
NERV Agent wrote:The results are here:
pastebin(dot)com(slash)zGchVBEZ
It would have been better if you had posted the raw text and wrapped it in "code" tags rather than using a third party site.
NERV Agent wrote:UPDATE: PaleMoon worked!
...as did all of the basic network tests that Socratis asked you to run. The conclusion from that is that VirtualBox is doing exactly what it should and you have access to the internet from your Windows XP guest.
NERV Agent wrote:But I still can't activate Windows, and it's gonna "self-destruct" in 29 days. What do I do?
That is a question you need to take to Microsoft or a Windows support forum to find out why you can't reach their activation servers over the internet.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You could also try telephone activation?