VirtualBox Windows 10 Guest VERY VERY Slow in Linux

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
narkewoody

VirtualBox Windows 10 Guest VERY VERY Slow in Linux

Post by narkewoody »

Not sure if any other VirtualBox user encountered similar issue. I am running Windows 10 guest within my Linux (Slackware 14.2) by VirtualBox 5.2.12. My laptop got 8G memory I allocated 4G to the guest OS, I have a 8 core CPU (a 2.8G i7 7700H) I allocated 4 cores to the guest. But the Windows is running painfully slow. I play around with the settings, already enabled the 2D/3D accelerating and used the host disk IO cache.

Where should I look for the possible problem?

BTW: I installed the VirtualBox using the official installer from VirtualBox's website and finished a normal installation, I did not see any error.

Thanks in advance. -woody
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VirtualBox Windows 10 Guest VERY VERY Slow in Linux

Post by andyp73 »

narkewoody wrote:My laptop got 8G memory I allocated 4G to the guest OS
Your laptop has 8GB total memory but for VirtualBox the important question is how much free memory do you have? Do you have 4GB memory free when the guest is running?
narkewoody wrote:I have a 8 core CPU (a 2.8G i7 7700H)
Intel's product information repository doesn't list an i7-7700H. If you mean the i7 7700HQ then you have a 4 core processor all of which you have allocated to your guest leaving nothing much for the host. Set the Windows 10 guest to have 2 cores.

If this is a fresh installation of Windows 10 then there is a lot of indexing, background updating, etc. that Windows performs that will slow everything down for a while.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
narkewoody

Post by narkewoody »

Sorry for I said I allocated four core to VM, it's a typo, I did allocated two cores to VM.

Yes, my free memory was very very low. Then I realized I cannot allocate 4G (half of the total) to VM, if I do so, my system will be left with almost 5% of free memory, so everything is very slow. For this, however, I really don't understand. Without the VM running, my system has more than 70% free memory. After a single guest started, I though my system will have at least (8*0.5 - 8*0.3)/8 = 20% of free memory even if the gust would use up all its allocated memory, right?

After know that, I allocated just 2G to the guest, but I found Windows 10 was still very slow. I then tried Windows 7. This time, results changed. With 4G allocated for Windows 7, it's faster than Windows 10 but still slow, with 2G allocated to Windows 7 it became much faster and I think I can accept the speed.

Does that mean, Windows 10 is much slow (in terms of Virutal Box VM) than windows 7 or it just need much more memory than what I have?

Thanks!
woody
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe the "slowness" / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.