copy/paste stops working in windows guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mdude

copy/paste stops working in windows guest

Post by mdude »

Hello, I have an old problem that keeps cropping up. When I say old, it's been going on for a few years.

Host: Windows 10, latest build (1803). I'm pretty sure I saw this in Win7 before I upgraded to Win 10 as well, but I'm not 100% certain of that.
Client: Windows Server 2016. I also observed this in Server 2008.

Here's what happens.

When I "power on" the guest fresh, everything works as expected. I can copy to/from the host/client without any problems.

However, at some point, it just stops working. Copy/paste no longer works either way, from host to client, or client to host. Copy/paste still works as expected both in the host, and in the client.

It appears to me the trigger that causes the problem is when I "save state" the client. When I load the client from saved state, sometimes copy/paste continues to work, sometimes it doesn't. If it works, it stays working, at least until the next "save state", upon which it may or may not continue working.

Restarting the client always fixes it.

Re "saving state" and reloading doesn't fix it.

Changing the copy/paste rules from "bidirectional" to "none" and back to "bidirectional" doesn't fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: copy/paste stops working in windows guest

Post by socratis »

mdude wrote:Any suggestions?
Avoid saved states? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mdude

Re: copy/paste stops working in windows guest

Post by mdude »

:)

I do a lot of development work in the VM. Closing everything down and shutting it down every time is counterproductive most times.