[WorksForMe] Video will not re-scale after w10 guest update to 1803

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
steelej

[WorksForMe] Video will not re-scale after w10 guest update to 1803

Post by steelej »

I updated W10 Home addtion to the latest feature set - 1803. I run this as a test/experimental machine

Since the update the video on the guest is locked at 1024*768. I cannot re scale it automatically or manually.

I have tried to reinstall the Additions pack into W10 but there is no difference.

Mouse and keyboard capture work as expected.

I am running v5.2.12 on a W10 home on the previous version (my host will not update to 1803).

Any suggestions
Last edited by socratis on 26. Jun 2018, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Video will not re-scale after w10 guest update to 1803

Post by socratis »

steelej wrote:I have tried to reinstall the Additions pack
You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
Try to reload the GAs by looking at the User Manual, ch. 4.2.1. Guest Additions for Windows. If that doesn't work:
  • Start the VM, login, shutdown the VM from within the VM.
  • Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
steelej

Post by steelej »

Thanks for the clarification. I have been using VirtualBox for many years. Here is some more detail about what I saw.

I have fairly recently updated VirtualBox to the latest version. I downloaded and installed the Extension pack at the same time as I installed the updated VB version (with appropriate reboots). I used this successfully in a Linux guest VM

I booted up my W10 virtual machine a few days after I updated Virtual box and then updated the Guest additions by mounting the iso when prompted to do so and it worked. successfully.

I then (some days later) updated my Windows 10 virtual machine by allowing it to install the latest feature update and after this finished the guest window would not resize. I rebooted the VM. I reinstalled the Guest additions into the W10 guest without any difference and rebooted the VM again.

The next day I tried the VM again with the same result and posted my query. Since then it has suddenly started working correctly and I can't reproduce the fault now. As far as I am aware there has been no further updates either to my host or to the guest OSs. There have been several more reboots of both host and guest. I suspect it will remain a mystery.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

steelej wrote:I suspect it will remain a mystery.
Not really. A reboot is often subscribed as a fix. Sometimes things get out of whack and a reboot puts them back in order.

So, I'll mark this as a [WorksForMe] unless objected...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
steelej

Re: [WorksForMe] Video will not re-scale after w10 guest update to 1803

Post by steelej »

I agree with your {Works for me}!

I did at least three reboots of the W10 VM (usually my first thought and never had this fail before having used VirtualBox for many years - I think I started with version 2) and one reboot of the host but with no effect. Perhaps it just needed an overnight rest, but at least it works now.