[Solved] Base System Device driver error Win10 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
davevg2

[Solved] Base System Device driver error Win10 guest

Post by davevg2 »

I went to update a software application on my Windows 10 VM, and rebooted only to find that Internet connectivity was lost. I've since completely uninstalled the application and its dependencies, but the issue remained. I have local network function, however no Internet connection. I did a thorough check of network adapter settings, network cable and connectors as well as router configuration, only confirming they didn't affect the issue. Then I noticed in device manager under Other Devices was listed a problem with the named "Base System Device". The hardware id confirmed that it was a Virtual Box driver (VendorID 80EE, DeviceID CAFE).

I saw two similar forum posts with this issue, however one was USB related and the other showed issues in the .vbox file in the xml code.

I have no idea where to go from here except to kill the VM and start over, but since I don't have a snapshot I would rather not! Rather than post oodles of info such as version, extension, vbox file, etc. I figured I would wait until requested.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by socratis on 21. Jun 2018, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Base System Device driver error Win10 guest

Post by socratis »

Re-install the Guest Additions. See if that improves the situation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davevg2

Post by davevg2 »

Guest Additions uninstalled and reinstalled, reboot. No change to Internet Connectivity, however it seems as if the Base System Device driver error in Device Manager is now gone.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I wasn't going for the internet connectivity at a first pass. ;)

What is the software application that you tried to update? Is it network related? Antivirus? Filtering?
What's the network mode that you're using? Bridged? NAT? NATservice? Other?
davevg2 wrote: I did a thorough check of network adapter settings, network cable and connectors as well as router configuration, only confirming they didn't affect the issue.
Do share your findings... From IP addresses, to MAC addresses, gateways, netmasks, the whole lot...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davevg2

Post by davevg2 »

I'm starting to think something happened to the hosts VirtualBox Host-Only Network Adapter (bridged). I thought for sure this was a static IP that Vbox setup, however it is set to obtain IP address automatically.
davevg2

Post by davevg2 »

Yes, the software was network related (VPN). The update included a TAP driver update, and I think that's what caused the issue. After the update, I had no more Internet connectivity. So I completely uninstalled the VPN software (and TAP network driver) per the VPN's instructions only to find out that my issue was still unresolved.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

davevg2 wrote:I'm starting to think something happened to the hosts VirtualBox Host-Only Network Adapter (bridged)
It's either Bridged or HostOnly. Which one for your guest? And why are you bringing the host in the discussion?
davevg2

Post by davevg2 »

Bridged vs. host:
It is a bridged network connection. However, the adapter is titled as "Host-Only". Perhaps the first Vbox network connection I made was set as a host only.

Reason for bringing the host into the discussion:
If there is an issue with Internet connectivity from a virtual machine, then to properly troubleshoot we would have to trace the network connections. So, the guest is bridged to the host, and the host is NATed to the router.

FIREWALL/ROUTER:
multiple networks running, all working fine
the settings for this network are 192.168.1.x
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.254
router assigns DNS servers if not manually assigned
(primary 1.1.1.1, secondary 8.8.8.8)

HOST:
integrated gigabit network adapter-connected to switch
DNS servers 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.4
MAC: 18:03:73:D2:55:B4
host has Internet connectivity through this port

PCI network adapter port #4-connected to switch
set to obtain IP automatically since router manually assigns IP via DHCP reservation
(192.168.1.202)
DNS servers: 8.8.8.8/75.75.75.75
MAC: F4:CE:46:A9:B8:8B
confirmed Internet connectivity through this adapter

VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
set to obtain IP automatically, although I thought for sure this was 192.168.56.1 (or 58.1?)
***auto IPv4 IP is showing 169.254.238.140, so appears to be DNS issue
MAC: 0A:00:27:00:00:10
no packets/connectivity at all

GUEST:
BRIDGED to PCI port #4
gateway: left blank (this was done intentionally since Vbox creates a gateway through the virtual adapter, correct?)
MAC: 08:00:27:80:FA:45
DNS: 209.222.18.222/209.222.18.218 (the VPNs DNS servers)

Reminder: these settings worked flawlessly until the VPN software update install on the guest machine. The only change that I notice is for some reason the VirtualBox adapter is no longer static IPv4 settings. Although I work in I.T., I would NEVER say that I always know what I'm doing. I've learned that especially when working with virtual machines, things don't always work as you would expect them to, or even as they should. However, my familiarity is more so with a different virtual host os and only recently began working with Vbox again in my home environment.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

davevg2 wrote:It is a bridged network connection. However, the adapter is titled as "Host-Only".
Where exactly is that "title"?
davevg2 wrote:So, the guest is bridged to the host, and the host is NATed to the router.
And your guest is NATed to the router by using one of your host's NICs as a bridge. That's what the Bridged part is all about...
davevg2 wrote:set to obtain IP automatically, although I thought for sure this was 192.168.56.1 (or 58.1?)
You're right, I think they changed it at some point. The 169.254.#.# IP is an APIPA one, a self-assigned one when you don't get an IP. Since you have to set your own HostOnly network, that's not a problem. Not at this point. You're not going to get an internet access with a HostOnly adapter. It's host. Only.
davevg2 wrote:gateway: left blank (this was done intentionally since Vbox creates a gateway through the virtual adapter, correct?)
No, it's not. If you do not use DHCP, then you should set all your network properties. And that gateway should be 192.168.1.254, just like for your host. Bridged means that the VM is a peer in your LAN, just like a physical computer, it should have the same treatment.

If you can ping your "DefaultGateway", if you can ping "1.1.1.1", if you can ping "download.virtualbox.org", VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc.
davevg2

Post by davevg2 »

You were right, setting the gateway on the guest fixed it!

Not sure why I would leave it blank, or how it worked before, but that was stubborn of me. Thank you sir.

And that title is the name of the other network connection on the host, but as you said, it's a VirtualBox host-only adapter and has nothing to do with the setup since the connection is bridged over.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

davevg2 wrote:You were right, setting the gateway on the guest fixed it!
Yes, a gateway is ... usually required if you want to get a little further from your neighborhood. ;)
davevg2 wrote:it seems as if the Base System Device driver error in Device Manager is now gone.
And this is what is earning this thread the [Solved] resolution.
davevg2

Re: [Solved] Base System Device driver error Win10 guest

Post by davevg2 »

And now I've found my reason for leaving the gateway blank. It was a network sharing issue that when the VPN was connected, local network shares became inaccessible. However, if the gateway is left blank the adapter recognized outbound traffic was through the VPN and local resources used the local gateway.

I'm researching with the VPN software now since it's no longer a VirtualBox related issue. Thanks again for your help!
eelstrebor1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: [Solved] Base System Device driver error Win10 guest

Post by eelstrebor1 »

Sorry to reopen this thread but I have the same missing driver message in Device Manager about the Base System Device. The OP seems to have had a network issue, also, but my networking is working just fine. I do have a major issue with installing the guest additions package because it makes my desktop unusable. So, I'm running the Win 10 guest without the guest additions so I have a much smaller Win 10 desktop. Anyway, searching for a driver did not fix the missing driver issue. As near as I can tell, the Win 10 guest works fine so I'm not sure if I should be concerned with this error. Virtualbox 6.1.18 r142142 (Qt5.12.8), Ubuntu version 20.04.2 host, Windows 10 Professional guest version 20H2, Build 19042.870