VB rel 5.1.26 works, anything higher fails

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
corcky

VB rel 5.1.26 works, anything higher fails

Post by corcky »

I have two XP vms.

Guest XPVM1 is on a Windows 7 host.
When I upgrade VB to rel 5.1.28 and above, including the 5.2 releases - once logged into XP, I cannot join network using either the Network ID wizard or the change computer name dialog.

I then set up Guest XPVM2 on a Windows 10 host - exactly the same thing happens.

On reverting back to rel 5.1.26 everything works perfectly.

Can anyone throw any light for me?
corcky

Re: VB rel 5.1.26 works, anything higher fails

Post by corcky »

To lay in a bit more info

The Network is Windows SBS 2003 32 bit

Both XPVMs run the same iso of XP Pro with all the service packs etc.

Would it help to upgrade VB up to the latest release, then when XP fails to join the network or see the network (either through Network ID wiz or rename hardware dialogue) grab the log at that point?

I can't figure out why vb rel 5.1.26 is fully functional, but any later release fails at the point that it needs to adopt the existing account of an established user on the network. Has any one experienced this issue?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• What kind of networking mode are you using?
• Did you upgrade the Guest Additions when you updated the main VirtualBox program?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
corcky

Post by corcky »

It is Bridged Adapter and the adapter is the ethernet type
The nic settings are:-

IP 10.0.0.11
subnet 255.0.0.0
gateway 10.0.0.137 - this is the router, the router allocates DHCP
DNS / server 10.0.0.138

When the network cable is plugged in I cannot progress past 'applying network settings'.

I restarted the vm with the cable unplugged.
I can now start the vm using the server network credentials

I re-plugged the cable in.

A router handles the dhcp allocation / gateway on 10.0.0.137
However no data is being received.
I open network properties and check 'Obtain ip address automatically'
data is now being received.
I click Devices>Insert Guest additions
The Guest Additions wizard obtains the iso and I reboot as told.
reboot
I assume at this point that I have successfully inserted the guest additions.

There is a long pause, but the logon to windows network finally appears.
Then the no account found dialog appears, killing the attempt.

I revert to logging on to the PC - virtualxp02 Workgroup
I open network properties and reset the Ip address, subnet and gateway to the fixed ip as above
Open the network id wizard, enter the correct network logon, password and domain info. This has previously worked to gain access to the network and set up an account or find an existing account - but this always fails on any VB version above 5.1.26.
While it is stuck I open network properties, check the 'obtain ip address automatically box'
The next dialogs appear asking for Domain User Name and Password etc.
enter computer name and domain name, then it hangs. It is not finding the domain account. The error says Your computer could not be joined to the network. The specified network name is no longer available.
I have deleted the computer name from the server and then added it back on the server adding administrator properties and ticked Trust this computer for delegation.

What I cant work out is why I cannot progress to join the network / find an existing user account on versions of VB above 5.1.26 - where as this is not a problem on that version or below.i understand it is an id problem, but it occurs on the later versions and not on this one:(