No DIrect3D in W7 guest.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Chriske

No DIrect3D in W7 guest.

Post by Chriske »

Hi,
First of all I'm completely new here / first time install VirtualBox.

Just installed Linux Mint18.3 on a HP Probook. In virtual box I installed Win7. All works very well except Virtual box did not add Direct3D during install.
Already ran Guest Additions. After that resolution got a little better(resolution) but still no Direct3D. During attempt to install Direct3D I was advised to do so in safe modus.
After reboot in Safe modus Guest Additions refused to run.
Is there a solution...? What should I do..?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Chriske

Re: No DIrect3D in W7 guest.

Post by Chriske »

Just discovered that the '3D acceleration' in the VirtualBox settings itself was not enabled. Enabled it and also slided the video memory to a max 256Mb.
My 3D-CAD software in W7 works far better but it still gives me error messages about 3D-Grapics hardware.

During install 'Guest Additions' I was told that 3D acceleration was experimental.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No DIrect3D in W7 guest.

Post by socratis »

Chriske wrote:After reboot in Safe modus Guest Additions refused to run.
There are two kinds of drivers for Win7; the "Windows XP display driver model" (XPDM) and the "Windows Vista display driver model" (WDDM). You need to boot in Safe mode, only if you install the XPDM drivers. This is required if you choose "Yes" when asked if "you would like to install basic Direct3D support".
Chriske wrote:During install 'Guest Additions' I was told that 3D acceleration was experimental.
It is. And you'll get warnings from a lot of 3D applications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen, or if it will happen at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.