Cannot install Guest Services on VM VirtualBox - Fails everytime - Exit Code 2

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Scott S

Cannot install Guest Services on VM VirtualBox - Fails everytime - Exit Code 2

Post by Scott S »

install_drivers.log
install log
(22.41 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Hello.
I am trying to install Guest services on my smoothly running virtual box so I can transfer files from the host windows 10 machine onto the vm running a g dedicated game servers. The problem is every time I try to install guest services, it failes. No matter if I'm in safemode or not, if I have 2d and 3d acceleration turned on or off, it still aborts installation and returns exit code 2:

I believe I am running the most current version of VirtualBox; 5.212 r122591 (qt5.6.2), and I have tried using VBoxGuest Additions 5.2.12 and 5.2.10, neither of them worked and both failed at the same point. I have no idea what's causing the error, if someone could guide me to the right fix, I would be extremely thankful, I'm fairly new to VM's so please forgive my clumsy ignorance.

I'm at a loss and realize this is probably a simple issue. Thank you in advance.

Scott.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot install Guest Services on VM VirtualBox - Fails everytime - Exit Code 2

Post by socratis »

Are you by any chance trying to install the Guest Additions on your host? Are you perhaps confused, because you call them "Services"? You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Scott S

Re: Cannot install Guest Services on VM VirtualBox - Fails everytime - Exit Code 2

Post by Scott S »

I installed the extensions separately , those installed fine. The one that fails in when I click on Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Image. After I click on that, I load my explorer window and try to run the auto run, that just luanches a CD command prompt box, loads something that I cannot read fast enough, then closes itself, and when I try to run the VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe or VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe, both fail with the error above.

I've even tried by setting them both to run as administrator, and changing the compatibility back as far a windows 7. It changes how far into the progress bar it goes, but it always fails with the same error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just realized that you never mentioned your guest! We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. try to install the GAs.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

got the log, here it is, hope .rar is okay.

Added it in .zip format, cuz I'm not bright enough to find the .zip format earlier.
Attachments
vm-log.zip
(35.12 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
vm-log.rar
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.12 r122591 win.amd64 (May  9 2018 10:42:46) release log
00:00:02.422850   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.2.12 r122591; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
The log shows that you are running the latest (as of typing) version of VirtualBox and as stated by socratis have the matching version of Extension Pack installed correctly on the host.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:24.328475 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.14 r112924 '5.1.14'
Your guest on the other hand is still behind the times with Guest Additions 5.1.14.

As your log file shows that you have a Windows 10 host and a Debian Linux guest then the following doesn't make sense:
Scott S wrote:The one that fails in when I click on Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Image. After I click on that, I load my explorer window and try to run the auto run, that just luanches a CD command prompt box, loads something that I cannot read fast enough, then closes itself, and when I try to run the VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe or VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe, both fail with the error above.
When you have clicked on "Devices" -> "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" then it will hopefully auto-mount into your Linux guest (probably as /media/...) from where you need to run:
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
As socratis thought, you appear to have tried to install the Guest Additions onto your Windows host or have tried to run the Windows installer within Linux. Ch 4.2. Installing and Maintaining Guest Additions of the user manual should be your friend.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Thanks for the breakdown. I think I got your directions. But when I runVBoxLinuxAdditions.run, it takes a while to run then stops and the window it's trying to run in says: 'There was a problem Opening the file "/media/cdrom0/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run". The file you opened has some invalid characters.'

It looks like it's trying to run it from an editor rather than just running the sofware, then again, it's not in a .exe format, so I don't know what it's trying to do. I've made some screen caps so you can see 1 - 6 what i'm seeing. I might just make a video of it and share the link so you can see exactly what I'm talking about. but in the mean time, here are the pics.

I made 6 pics but it will only let me do 3 in one post, so I will show you the last 3.
pic 4.JPG
pic 4.JPG (85.25 KiB) Viewed 9104 times
pic 5.JPG
pic 5.JPG (89.94 KiB) Viewed 9104 times
pic 6.JPG
pic 6.JPG (85.22 KiB) Viewed 9104 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The .run files are part Linux shell script (the part that looks like text and starts #!/bin/sh) and then a payload that the shell script unpacks / installs / compiles as necessary.

You will need to open a Linux command window (Konsole, terminal, xterm, etc) and then change to the root user to run the .run file with the command from my previous post.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

well, this just turning into another reason why I don't use Linux...

I was able to get the software installed, but now, after restarting the vm, I get an error "Running in software rendering mode" then it goes on to say Cinnamon is running without video hardware acceleration.., I'm sure you know the rest. I tried looking up how to fix the error, but I cant' even attempt the fix because I also get a new window popping up that says "Could not switch the monitor configuration - Could not set the configureation for CRTC 62".. there is a 'close' button, but my mouse does not work in the vm anymore, I cannot click on anything anywhere, and pressing enter or esc does nothing either.

After restarting my entire PC, i am no longer getting the "Could not switch monitor" error, but I still cannot interact with anything in the vm. Can't resize anything, or move anything or launch a terminal window.
running if software rendering mode.JPG
running if software rendering mode.JPG (59.64 KiB) Viewed 9067 times
in the vm manager settings > display Enable 3D acceleration is enabled, 2D video acceleration is not enabled, if I try to enable 2D, it gives me an invalid setting warning.

So I guess I need to know how to get rid of that error box, sorry for the ID10T questions, but as I said, I don't use Linux... ever...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That error means that 3D acceleration is not working in your host. You may have it enabled in the settings, that's one thing, but if the Guest Additions (GAs) were not installed (or installed improperly) that's what you're going to get.

Repeat the installation process and look at the output. Post the output...
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

I can't re-install or even uninstall the software as I can't get into the vm, I have no mouse or keyboard in that vm anymore. Am I going to have to delete that vm and start over again?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So you now lost mouse and keyboard??? Your VM is failing one subsystem at a time! :o
Don't delete it immediately, create another VM instead with the same guest OS. Unless you're running out of space...