[Resolved] How does one install BearWindows on Windows 98 SE

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Booty

[Resolved] How does one install BearWindows on Windows 98 SE

Post by Booty »

Title says it all
Last edited by socratis on 15. Jun 2018, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How does one install BearWindows on Windows 98 SE

Post by socratis »

Your problem is with a Windows Guest, not with a Windows Host. I deleted your duplicate post from the "Windows Hosts" section.

To answer your question, did you happen to look at the Howtos and Tutorials » Windows Guests section? There are two tutorials there that will help you:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Booty

Post by Booty »

Thank you for the pointers. However I have not found what I was looking for at those places. The howtos and tutorials post speak about BearWindows but they don't explain the installation process. If you happen to know how, I'd greatly appreciate it.

**EDIT**: If you have any other graphic drivers (excluding DisplayDoctor, not working for me), please tell me.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You unpack the appropriate driver zip package (which must be the BearWindows universal VESA driver, not the obsolete "VirtualBox" one), you right click the inf file and you choose Install from the context menu - all from inside the Win98SE guest of course.

Please bear in mind that you should not expect to find general Windows tuition on a VirtualBox site. For example "how do I install device drivers in Windows 98SE" is not a VirtualBox question by any stretch of the imagination. You should answer such questions using Google.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Booty wrote:However I have not found what I was looking for at those places.
Hmm... Interesting... Because I saw the following post from stefan.becker:
There is no automatic installation.
Unzip the driver in the guest. Start system control/display, chose the settings/advanced/vga-card, change the vga-card and choose option to show drivers in a directory, there choose manually the directory where you unzipped the driver.
...which is another way of doing what mpack suggested.

If you want to install older OSes, you got to start thinking like 20 years ago. No plug and play, no click-click installations, no easy task. And a lot of careful searching, trial and error.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Booty

Post by Booty »

Right clicking on the inf file did the trick. Thanks for the help. Also, I'm not really fluent in those old oses. I'm grateful for your help.

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].