Server 2016 performance

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ISL

Server 2016 performance

Post by ISL »

I am up to find out how server 2016 performs in VirtualBox. Planned Host ist probably Debian, although this is open yet, if there are better suitable host systems, I am not limited to that.
After googling a while I only found limited information how and how well Server 2016 is running, how stable it is and if it is advisable for productive usage.
Are there any performance charts, comparisons against physical machines or even other virtualization somewhere? Any information would be quite useful because I absolutely prefer Virtualbox over other solutions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Server 2016 performance

Post by socratis »

This is a question similar to "How well will my car perform?" without actually specifying the car model. I don't know what your host is, and what it can do. I can tell you that if I try to run Win2016 on my Pentium Core2 Duo, it won't run very well. Or in a Xeon E5462, if you don't understand your computer's (host) capabilities. You may be in for a surprise and I don't mean the good kind...

The simpler question is: why don't you try it? Unless someone has the same exact setup as yours, all numbers will be subjective.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ISL

Post by ISL »

Thank you :)
It is obvious that this highly depends on the host machines hardware, but that was not what I am asking here. Sorry if I was unclear about this. Perhaps I should have asked like: "Does it run noticeably or significantly slower than directly on the same underlying hardware if running it in virtualbox", or perhaps "how much drain is there to be expected?". If there would be some charts I can see and compare I'd knew at least to some degree how to scale a new host machine to compensate or if it's even feasible.
I know this is a sort of generic question, but its hard to plan such a thing if not having at least some idea what to expect.

Surely I can run a server in a testing environment here on an already existing machine, but that will only provide me with a limited amount of information too, since it is no real-life situation or usage and it won't be the same hardware.
Indeed I find it somewhat strange that I can't find any such information which allows to make at least a rough estimation.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ISL wrote:I find it somewhat strange that I can't find any such information which allows to make at least a rough estimation.
Most probably because people that actually do use it, don't share. The majority of people doesn't share, we're too selfish as a species... ;)
ISL wrote:Surely I can run a server in a testing environment here on an already existing machine
Well, if you do, could you share your performance stats with the rest of us?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.