macOS High Sierra Guest crashes during initial startup

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
cfraser

macOS High Sierra Guest crashes during initial startup

Post by cfraser »

Windows 10 x64 Host ... Guest has 2 cores and 8192MB of Memory. During initial VM startup, the guest will crash with "The instruction at 0x00007FF... referenced memory at 0x00.......10. The memory could not be read."

VT-x/AMD-V is enabled. Host has sufficient resources for the guest.

I'm trying to attach the log but apparently the log file is 4KiB too large to upload, so I can PM a dropbox link if needed. If any more information is necessary I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: macOS High Sierra Guest crashes during initial startup

Post by socratis »

You have a Windows Host, and unfortunately OSX guests are only supported on Apple hardware (which you do not seem to have). See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest.

In the really rare case (0.001%) that this is actually an Apple computer, in which you have installed Windows, and you're trying to boot a legitimate OSX guest and not a Hackintosh, send me a PM and I'll remedy the situation. Be prepared to provide evidence in such a case.

Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this on these forums (all of them locked, hoping that someone will get the hint), but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.