[Invalid] can't activate win 10 pro

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
vmTest

[Invalid] can't activate win 10 pro

Post by vmTest »

Hi Im new to vm. I instaled a win 10 pro guests on my win 10 pro. Ween I try to activate it says the win 10 pro key cant work.
Is it ok to use the key I used to install on my pc for the guest vm ?
I build the pc from ground up so its not a OME key. I got the key from a key shop not from microsoft store. I evan payed more for the key to not be a OME.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jun 2018, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: can't activate win 10 pro

Post by andyp73 »

vmTest wrote:Is it ok to use the key I used to install on my pc for the guest vm ?
You will need to check the wording of the Microsoft license agreement to see whether the same key can be used for both a physical PC and virtual guests. I would expect that it probably doesn't and that you will need a new license key.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
gray25
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: can't activate win 10 pro

Post by gray25 »

Correct. You will need another license key for each windows installation.
vmTest

Re: [Invalid] can't activate win 10 pro

Post by vmTest »

odd.. I have used same win7 and win xp key's in the past for 2 diferant pc's. Thay might have been OME's. I gues I can test a install on a diferant pc amd see if thay let me activate it. I HATE HOW LONG g-part shrink takes just for me to dual boot for this..Hmm..
EDIT: Or shuld I just rune the vm in xp64 or win7 64. I dont have a prefrance. only dif I see is the secerity updates. And if a vm gets corupted it cant harm my host pc. Corect ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

vmTest wrote:And if a vm gets corupted it cant harm my host pc. Corect ?
It depends the level of "sharing" you have between your VM and your host. If you get a virus that affects networked computers, yes, your host can be at risk. Like any other computer on your network.

If you have ReadWrite shared folders, yes, you could infect the common files.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vmTest

Post by vmTest »

ok..
I only have read from clip board.(host to gust)
I was hopin I culd have one of my game files shear.. BUT I lookes like I cant evane launch the game ate gusste from the host. so ill remove it. And redownload it to guset

I know this is the rong spot to ask..but is thear a way to have the tools minue as a addon? I want full screan without the toles ate the botom and/or top of guset vm. Iwant it to loke like a normal desktop.

Sorry about the bad gramer.
vmTest

Post by vmTest »

OK So I instald win7 OEM and it had no problem activating...
asuka
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: yes

Post by asuka »

Hi, i have been faced same issue of my windows 10 pro, my activation key not supported of my windows. it was a licensing issue. key didn't match with version.
you should buy original windows & key.
Callfjor
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: UNIX

Post by Callfjor »

I just got two separate keys to run it, would be nice if you'd only need one
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Callfjor wrote:I just got two separate keys to run it, would be nice if you'd only need one
Don't speak to us about how you'd like Microsoft product licensing to work, speak to Microsoft.

Locking this.