[Solved] Cannot access shared folder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jalexm

[Solved] Cannot access shared folder

Post by jalexm »

Hello.

I have 3 identical vms (version 5.2.12 r122591) runing Win10 as guest. Host is Win10 too.
Only one of them is able to access a shared folder (called Host_x) on host but the others cannot.
I'm not running vms simultaneously. Windows says \\vboxsvr exists, but can't connect to Host_x.
Curiously everything was OK some days ago.
Can you help?

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jun 2018, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Cannot access shared folder

Post by Martin »

If a Windows 10 guest got a bigger Windows Update you may have to reinstall the guest additions inside the guest.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

If that doesn't fix it, we will need to see the VBox.log file from two of the guests - specifically the guest that works and one that fails! zip the log files and post them.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
jalexm

Post by jalexm »

Martin wrote:If a Windows 10 guest got a bigger Windows Update you may have to reinstall the guest additions inside the guest.
Yes, I did it.
jalexm

Post by jalexm »

andyp73 wrote:If that doesn't fix it, we will need to see the VBox.log file from two of the guests - specifically the guest that works and one that fails! zip the log files and post them.
-Andy.
Where are log files?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  2. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  3. Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jalexm

Post by jalexm »

Hi all.
I just solved the problem reinstalling Guest Additions, but this time right clicking VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe and running it as Administrator.
Maybe I have did this in vm that's ok and forget to do it in other two vms.
I want to sincerely thank you for all your answers.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.