5.2.12 error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kencooper

5.2.12 error

Post by kencooper »

I don't know whether I am in the right place, but there doesn't appear to be a way of asking Oracle a question or reporting an error.
I have downloaded and installed Ver 5.2.12 r122591. This worked fine after I installed it, but it errored this morning. I repaired it, using the original downloaded update, but it failed again.
I downloaded the update again, and used this download to repair, with the same result.
I have been using this software since 2014, when Microsoft pulled the plug on support for XP, and it runs XP and holds all my accounts information.
I can't find the log file, which it says I should download and attach.
Please help, as I can't function without access to my accounts information.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: 5.2.12 error

Post by andyp73 »

Ch 10.1. Where VirtualBox stores its files in the user manual will tell you where all the files are.

When you say "it errored" and "it failed again" is that the Windows XP guest when you try to open it or the VirtualBox application itself? If VirtualBox itself opens, then to get the VBox.log file right click on the guest and select "Show log..." we only need the most recent (zipped of course).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
kencooper

Post by kencooper »

The VirtualBox application opens as normal, but the XP does not load.

I can't find the log file created today, what I have found are
VBox.log.1 Created 31/5/18
VBox.log.2 Created 30/5/18
VBox.log.3 Created 25/5/18

which are the last three days when I logged in successfully.

The only file which has been created today is

VBoxHardening, a text file.

The error message ends with

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

where supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) - Invalid (malformed) file/path name.

I have attached the VBoxHardening file
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kencooper wrote:there doesn't appear to be a way of asking Oracle a question or reporting an error
Not unless you're a customer with a contract. And those cost some serious $/€/£/¥...
kencooper wrote:The error message ends with
For future reference, the whole error messages should be included, not part of them, mainly because you don't know which parts are important and which aren't.

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. These are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement.

I'd start with uninstalling Avast and Malware Bytes, or find a way to exclude VirtualBox from their snoopy inquiries:
1cb8.26d4: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x84
1cb8.26d4: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\aswHwid.sys:
1cb8.26d4:     ProductName:     Avast Antivirus
1cb8.26d4: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys:
1cb8.26d4:     ProductName:     Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kencooper

Post by kencooper »

Sorry I didn't put the whole error message, but I can't copy and paste it and I'm afraid that I might make a mistake.

Well here goes

Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5
Command line:'60eaff78-4bdd-042d-2e72-669728efd737-suplib-3rdchild--comment "Ken xp" --startvm 31aa6586-77fd-488a-af4c-5e7503fad696--no-startvm-errormsgbox"--sup-hardening-log=C:\Users\Ken\VirtualBox VMs\Ken xp\Logs\VBoxHardening.log"'(rc=-104)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardeningWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) - invalid (malformed) file/path name.

Thanks for the help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The error was for future reference. Did you uninstall the antivirus? That was the important part of the message...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kencooper

Post by kencooper »

I have removed both Malware Bytes and Avast free AV and rebooted the computer. I also went back one version and reran VirtualBox 5.2.8-121009-Win, which was working before the upgrade to 5.2.12.

No change, still the same error message and I can't load XP.

The details of the error are

The virtual machine 'Ken xp' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Ken\VirtualBox VMs\Ken xp\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I've attached the latest log file
Attachments
VirtualBox.zip
(10.45 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBoxHardening.log wrote:
2960.2964: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x80
2960.2964: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys:
2960.2964:     ProductName:     Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Your log file would seem to suggest that you haven't managed to completely uninstall the Malwarebytes software.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

kencooper wrote: I also went back one version and reran VirtualBox 5.2.8-121009-Win, which was working before the upgrade to 5.2.12.
If you started having a hardening error (which you did) because of an update in a program in your system/programs, that affects the ability of VirtualBox to run cleanly, downgrading won't help you.

"It used to run" does not apply anymore...
kencooper

Post by kencooper »

I've removed the DLL it referred to, with the same error, or so it appears. Do I need to restart the computer?
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

The hardening log isn't reporting any more adversaries and so that part of the problem looks to be resolved. There may be something else buried in the log file that someone cleverer and more experienced than me might be able to spot! :)

There may be something else causing the issue. Have we got as far as generating a VBox.log file yet?

-Andy.
kencooper

Post by kencooper »

No Andy, still the same 3 log files as before. The only one it keeps generating is the Hardening log.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Perhaps try reinstalling 5.2.12. Also consider if there are any invasive AV style programs installed on your PC, because the "adversaries" check does not catch everything.
kencooper

Post by kencooper »

I've reinstalled 5.2.12 and still get the same error.

Will I have to reinstall XP and all my software, or is there a cure?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The cure would be to remove every piece of unnecessary software from your host. It's your host that has the problem, not your guest.