Windows 10 VM crashes during Insider build install

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wroot

Windows 10 VM crashes during Insider build install

Post by wroot »

This first happened while installing 17677 build (Windows 10 RS5 branch). I have updated VirtualBox to 5.2.12 before installing that build and haven't installed/updated the add-ins. So i thought that was the cause. But it happened again while installing 17682 today. And add-ins are already in place. After a reboot it installed correctly. This is the log it pointed me to. Windows 7 x64 host.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 VM crashes during Insider build install

Post by socratis »

wroot wrote:and haven't installed/updated the add-ins. So i thought that was the cause
If by "add-ins" you mean the Guest Additions (GAs), you first have to install the OS before you can install the GAs. A guest should be able to run with GAs or not installed. The GAs are simply "goodies", not essential. So, no, that's not the reason.

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. If the latest release doesn't work, you should try the latest test builds. And keep on checking for updates.

BTW, the opposite works quite well; you can install VirtualBox on a host that runs Win10 b17682 if you want to try that... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wroot

Post by wroot »

I've been installing Insider builds this way for almost 4 years now. And i always try to keep VirtualBox up to date (not the test builds though). This is the first time i ran into such problem with my Windows 10 VM. I'm also using Win7 as a host all this time.

Is this log telling something useful? Or what should i do when it happens again to provide more info?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

wroot wrote:I've been installing Insider builds this way for almost 4 years now.
You know what they say in the investment world?
Past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes.
;)
wroot wrote:And i always try to keep VirtualBox up to date (not the test builds though).
I really don't know why they call them "test builds", it kind of scares people. They should be calling them "intermediate builds", or "builds in between releases". They contain solid code that's going to make it to the next release, not test code for new features (those are the Development Snapshots, completely different beast). They even accept tickets for them (not for the Dev. Snapshots). At the moment the latest test build it's your best option, but no guarantees though, the latest Win10 insider build just came out...
wroot wrote:Is this log telling something useful?
It tells me that you got a Guru Meditation with a VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT. That's a really nasty error, way over the understanding of your average Joe, even your average developer. And to actually quote a developer:
triple fault problems are stupidly difficult/expensive to debug
wroot wrote:Or what should i do when it happens again to provide more info?
Nothing more, nothing less. Not unless you're asked to by a more experienced user. You provided the perfect kind/amount of information. You even ZIPPED the log! Kudos! ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wroot

Post by wroot »

Today a crash happened after running the VM and opening a tab in a browser inside of it. So, it is not related to installing builds (although it only happened during that time before). Going to give 5.2.13-122890 test build a try.

P.S. same result with a test build.
wroot

Post by wroot »

Switched back to 5.2.10. Working fine so far.
wroot

Post by wroot »

Testing 5.2.16. So far no crashes.