Virtual Machine has Terminated unexpectedly during startup

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
pinkfloydx33

Virtual Machine has Terminated unexpectedly during startup

Post by pinkfloydx33 »

My virtual box installation is no longer working. Every time I try to run a machine I get the following error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine sfdgh.

The virtual machine 'sfdgh' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code -1073741819 (0xc0000005). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\UserName\VirtualBox VMs\sfdgh\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
My machines were all working correctly up until recently. I'm not sure exactly when, but I suspect that it stopped working after installing the most recent windows updates.
I am currently on Windows 10 Professional, x64, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) running Virtual Box 5.2.12r122591

None of hosts are working (all with the same error). I created a new machine to verify and that one does not work either. I have done the following:
  • Verified Windows Feature Hyper-V is disabled
  • Verified Windows Feature "Windows HyperVisor Platform" is disabled
  • Verified nothing has changed in my BIOS; Running Securable.exe indicates that hardware virtualization is enabled
  • Uninstalled Virtual Box [followed by reboot]
  • Deleted .VirtualBox folder in User Profile
  • Reinstalled (Right-click installed -> Run As Administrator) [followed by reboot]
  • Tried enabling/disabling 3d Acceleration (suggested elsewhere)
I still receive the errors. I have attached my VBoxHardening Logs. Any ideas on what is causing this and/or how I can resolve it? Looking through the log I see mention of cyprotectdrv64.sys which I think might be Cylance (which is what our company has been using for antivirus). We've been having issues with that lately; it appears they've restricted some of our usage and as developers we've had to have them unblock a lot of things. Before I request that TechOps white-list VirtualBox I'd like to be sure that is what is going on.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
VBoxHardening Log from a newly created VM
(16.4 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
VBoxHardening.log
VBoxHardening Log from one of my real VMs
(16.31 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtual Machine has Terminated unexpectedly during startup

Post by andyp73 »

VBoxHardening.log wrote:
2e44.19a0: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x8000
2e44.19a0: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\cyprotectdrv64.sys:
2e44.19a0:     FileDescription: Cylance Protect Driver
This is something that is known to not play nicely with VirtualBox as a Google search for "cylance site:forums.virtualbox.org" shows.

I think you need to talk to the TechOps and either have VirtualBox added as an exception or have it removed - even if only temporarily to prove whether it is the problem.

As you have moved to Windows 10 v1803 it would also be good if you took a quick look at whether DeviceGuard, CredentialGuard and the new containerised version of Edge are enabled in the Windows settings as these all make use of Hyper-V without telling you and may cause you problems down the road when you get over this hurdle.

-Andy
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Machine has Terminated unexpectedly during startup

Post by socratis »

Point your TechOps to the FAQ Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues, it contains the in depth details about the what and the why you're seeing that error.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.