[Resolved] VB doesn't find a bootable system

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Alooha
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: MX Linux

[Resolved] VB doesn't find a bootable system

Post by Alooha »

Hello,
Although I have pointed to the .iso Windows 10 file that I have burned onto a DVD, VB says that it doesn't find a bootable system when I start it.
What may be going wrong?
Regards
Alooha
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jun 2018, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB doesn't find a bootable system

Post by socratis »

Alooha wrote:What may be going wrong?
Simple, your ISO is not bootable. Have you verified it?
Alooha wrote:Although I have pointed to the .iso Windows 10 file that I have burned onto a DVD
You don't need to burn the .iso to a DVD, you can point VirtualBox directly to the .iso. See 1.9. Running your virtual machine.
  • If you have downloaded installation media from the Internet in the form of an ISO image file (most probably in the case of a Linux distribution), you would normally burn this file to an empty CD or DVD and proceed as just described. With VirtualBox however, you can skip this step and mount the ISO file directly. VirtualBox will then present this file as a CD or DVD-ROM drive to the virtual machine, much like it does with virtual hard disk images.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alooha

Post by Alooha »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response.
I don't understand how to navigate to the folder containing the downloaded file (by Media Creation Tool).
Regards
Alooha
Attachments
VB Windows 10.PNG
VB Windows 10.PNG (32.84 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

or

But I see that you already have the Windows10.iso selected. You simply have to have one CD drive. You do NOT need to add CD drives if you simply want to point to a different ISO. Just delete the "leer" CD drive.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Alooha

Post by Alooha »

Hi,
I have found how to proceed, but the interface in my VB version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2) is not the same as in yours.
Thank you
Alooha
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, it's an older screenshot (it's called recycling), but the idea is the same. Look around, you're going to find your way...

Unless you pay my tickets so that I can fly to your office/house and show you... ;)
Alooha

Post by Alooha »

It works very well, but when I start a Ubuntu machine that is not working, or a Win 7 machine, that is not ready either, I don't get an error message but the Win 10 machine is starting. Strange.
I have problems to install the right guest additions, in which I am interested because of the facilities to share files. How to do?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation (in the /doc directory of your installation).
Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.

"Use the search Luke...";)
Alooha

Post by Alooha »

Hi,
One problem is that I have installed VB in german and that the pdf is in english.
I can't imagine that I will find a response to such a specific question in the documentation.
By the way, I have succeeded in installing the extensions.
Kind regards
Alooha
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Alooha wrote:One problem is that I have installed VB in german and that the pdf is in english.
You're going to have to use a translation service[1], translate and contribute the manual in German, or I could answer to you in Greek. Three options, your choice ;)
Alooha wrote:By the way, I have succeeded in installing the extensions.
Great, that's a really good start!

[1]: https://www.deepl.com/translator or https://translate.google.com/
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Alooha wrote: One problem is that I have installed VB in german and that the pdf is in english.
The online version of the user manual is better suited to online translators, though you have to be careful about translation errors.
Alooha

Post by Alooha »

Thanks but I don't need a translator!
The problem is not the language of the text but to understand which Menu point in german corresponds to which one in the english documentation. What more is, it seems to me that the documentation is based on an older version of VB.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Alooha wrote:which Menu point in german corresponds to which one in the english documentation
Alooha wrote:The problem is not the language
VirtualBox » Einstellugen... » Sprache » English (eingelbaut).
Alooha wrote:it seems to me that the documentation is based on an older version of VB.
No, it's not. Do you have any examples? Maybe they need to be fixed...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Alooha: It's always possible that there are oversights in the user manual, but it's up to you to point them out if you want them fixed.
Alooha

Post by Alooha »

Meanwhile I have succeeded in booting it.
Tank you
Alooha