Win10 on Win10: Weird cursors with mouse integration enabled

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RogerDC

Win10 on Win10: Weird cursors with mouse integration enabled

Post by RogerDC »

I think I'm experiencing a similar issue.
[ModEdit: Referring to the thread that these posts were split from, Double mouse pointer in Windows 10 guest]

When I enable mouse integration, any time I go to the "Text Select" cursor in a Windows 10 guest (on a Windows 10 host), if mouse integration is enabled, I get a cursor that looks like this:
Overlayed cursor
Overlayed cursor
overlayedCursor.png (722 Bytes) Viewed 1899 times
Here are two pictures in just about the same spot in the address bar of Chrome in my guest. Left is with mouse integration enabled, right is disabled:
aTaleOfTwoPointers.png
aTaleOfTwoPointers.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
So is this some kind of similar issue, or something different?

Logs are attached.
Attachments
CursorOverlay.zip
Log file
(36.76 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by socratis on 23. May 2018, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posts split from another thread.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Double mouse pointer in Windows 10 guest

Post by Martin »

That is not a Virtualbox problem. It seems to be generic Windows / RDP client problem because I'm seeing the same effect in a RDP session from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 7 on a system without Virtualbox.

Edit: I mean the problem of 'RogerDC' with just a few dots visible of the text cursor.
Last edited by Martin on 18. May 2018, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Martin,
I don't see any RDP sessions being active, not sure if you're referring to "delphijunkie", or "RogerDC"...

@RogerDC
You have a hardening problem (primarily, didn't really check for anything else):
00:00:03.897623 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
    rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\
    Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_6df6d441221f1356\nvinitx.dll:
    fKeyUsage=0x0, missing 0x1: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\
    Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_6df6d441221f1356\nvinitx.dll
00:00:03.897733 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll:
    rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_6df6d441221f1356\nvinitx.dll'
    (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_6df6d441221f1356\nvinitx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
Your GPU drivers are being rejected. You need to update them, forcing in the process the update of the Windows Certificate Database. Do not rely on the Windows Update for that, it seems that it's causing the problem (updates the drivers, not the certificates, still not 100% solid evidence on that but I'm getting closer).

If you download the GPU drivers, just go for the basic drivers, not any fancy-smancy features. They add nothing of value, unless you value your headaches...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer

Post by Martin »

RogerDC wrote:I think I'm experiencing a similar issue.

When I enable mouse integration, any time I go to the "Text Select" cursor in a Windows 10 guest (on a Windows 10 host), if mouse integration is enabled, I get a cursor that looks like this:
overlayedCursor.png
That is not the same problem as you are on a Windows host.
I was seeing a similar effect here on my Windows 10, but this resolved itself after installing the latest Windows 10 (1709) Updates.

@socratis: should we split this into a seperate thread?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win10 on Win10: Weird cursors with mouse integration enabled

Post by socratis »

Martin wrote:@socratis: should we split this into a seperate thread?
Great suggestion! Done...
Martin wrote:but this resolved itself after installing the latest Windows 10 (1709) Updates.
Host? Guest? Both?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer

Post by Martin »

socratis wrote:
Martin wrote:but this resolved itself after installing the latest Windows 10 (1709) Updates.
Host? Guest? Both?
In my case on the Windows 10 host, but the Windows 7 guest is also at the latest updates.
Bulldog1024

Post by Bulldog1024 »

My guest OS' are either Win 10 or Win 7. For the Win 10 host I use white mouse cursor and set it as black for all guests. Starting sometime in V5 (I think) I started getting a small white arrow superimposed over the larger guest black arrow OR I would get a thick horizontal black line superimposed on the black arrow. Nothing I could think of could correct that. I have GA installed and mouse integration on.

However by digging in the mouse parameters in the control panel I have found a cure to both problems above. I had Mouse Trails enabled, in the guest OS', to help on my 3 large monitors. The simple part was deselecting Mouse Trail in the guest only. However no simple solution is without a bazar twist. Just clearing the check box WITHOUT clicking Apply or OK fixed the problem. However you will want to click Apply or OK to make the change permanent.

One last note. If only the host has Mouse Trails enabled then the guest OS also displays mouse trails. You CANNOT have both host AND guest enabled. However having said that. I can remove the double mouse pointer and still have mouse trails enabled in both the host and guest. I don't have the time to figure out how to reproduce.

Running Win 10 1709 for the host. Driver problems preventing me from going to 1803. Guest OS' Win 10 1803 or latest Win 7.