[Resolved] NIC not working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
t189desiderate
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP and Lubuntu

[Resolved] NIC not working

Post by t189desiderate »

A did a computer replacement for a user.
The old machine:
Host PC: Win 7
Guest VM: Win XP

The new machine:
Host PC: Win10
Guest VM: Win XP

I did an export of the Appliance and then imported it on the new machine.
Seemed to have gone smooth.
I am able to log in locally as admin, but I am not able to log onto a Domain account.
Last edited by socratis on 31. May 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
t189desiderate

Re: NIC not working

Post by t189desiderate »

I checked Device Manager and noticed that then Wired NIC was not installed.
Per another thread, I found the Intel drivers, downloaded it, put it in Shared Folder, then installed guest additions (so that I could get to the shared folder), and installed the NIC driver.
Now Device Manager looks good, driver is good.
I wait for LAN to connect. I get Limitted or No Connectivity.
Of course my Host PC has good internet connection.
When I try to run the NIC troubleshooter, all it says is "This computer is part of a domain, contact the Admin".
Well, I am the admin (one of them).

I then went ahead and changed the Computer Name.
And joined it to a WorkGroup.
Then when I attempted to join back to the Domain, it failed. Says it can't contact it.
I have no internet connectivity and no network connectivity. I can't even get to a SAN.

I compared the Network Adapter settings from old PC to new PC under Virtual Box settings.
Got them to match.
Within the VM, I tried to specify a Static IP address.
Used all the settings, which I know should be correct.
Still nothing.
What am I missing?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

t189desiderate wrote:What am I missing?
We couldn't possibly know what you're missing, because your posts are missing one crucial thing; details. You went "I tried", "static IP", "a domain", "now what?", but no actual details, such as network mode, IPs that you chose, IPs for the domain, whether you can ping anything inside or outside your LAN, whether you have a LAN or not. You didn't even specify the version of Win10 you're using, or the version of VirtualBox you're using...

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.

Specifically for the VM log file ("VBox.log.zip"), here's what you do:
  1. Start the VM. Not from a saved or paused state. Clean start.
  2. Take the steps required to generate/observe the error. Record the error message. EXACTLY. Post a screenshot if you have to.
  3. Shut down the VM (if it hasn't aborted by itself). Not saved or paused. Completely shut down. If you can't shut it down by normal means, close the VM window and select "Power off".
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show Log..."
  5. Save it (only the first VBox.log), ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
I would also like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT obfuscate anything.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
t189desiderate

Post by t189desiderate »

I am unable to to attach images. Forum says they are too large to upload.
I tried zipping them and also saving them as GIFs and zipping.
Do you have an email address I could send them to?
Attachments
vmlog1-AS400-2018-05-24-10-21-08.7z
(19.39 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
AS400.zip
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We don't need images (that show the configuration?). We have everything we need (and much more) from the logs.
VirtualBox VM 5.2.6 r120293 win.amd64 (Jan 15 2018 14:58:38) release log
That's an old VirtualBox version, you should update to the latest (as of this writing) 5.2.12. Don't forget the matching Ext. Pack for your host (if you want it) and the Guest Additions (GAs) for your guest.
00:00:01.705044 File system of 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
Be sure to eject the GAs before you update VirtualBox. It's a really good idea to remove the GAs CD after you're done installing the GAs, otherwise you're going to run into problems if you upgrade VirtualBox.
00:00:01.703200 Guest OS type: 'WindowsXP'
00:00:01.933160 RamSize <integer> = 0x000000000c000000 (201 326 592, 192 MB)
You might want to take that a tad higher, just for your guest's "breathing room". You can definitely afford double that...
00:00:02.885987 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. You'll also notice that the max VRAM will jump from 128 to 256 MB after that; max the VRAM as well. Then re-install the Guest Additions (GAs) in the guest. With WinXP specifically, you've got to do it in "Safe Mode". Just smash the F8 key during startup, right after the BIOS screen shows up.
00:00:01.933222 IfPolicyPromisc <string> = "allow-network" (cb=14)
Not sure why you chose that "Promiscuous mode", but I don't think it's going to hurt. The default is "Deny" BTW...
00:00:01.933311 Path <string> = "C:\Users\jen.king\VirtualBox VMs\AS400\Appliance-disk002.vmdk" (cb=62)
Why VMDK? Was this VM imported? Given the discrepancy in the VM name and the virtual disk, and the "002" part, something is not right...
00:00:01.933344 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
You should definitely increase that to 128 or 256 MB.

And finally, according to your ".vbox" file:
<GuestProperty name="/VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/0/V4/Broadcast" value="255.255.255.255" timestamp="1527164796413847700" flags=""/>
<GuestProperty name="/VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/0/V4/IP" value="10.10.6.88" timestamp="1527164796413346105" flags=""/>
<GuestProperty name="/VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/0/V4/Netmask" value="255.255.254.0" timestamp="1527164796413847701" flags=""/>
So, it seems that you are getting an IP, don't know if it's in the right range, but we're going to find out. Your netmask is a little bit unusual, but that may be because of your LAN setup.

I'm going to need the output of the following "command" from a Command Prompt on your host:
> ipconfig /all
Then the output of the following "commands" from a Command Prompt on your guest. I've included a sample output, with only the parameters that you should be focusing on:
> ipconfig /all
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-36-28-0C
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1

> ping <DefaultGateway>             <-- tests your connectivity
> ping 1.1.1.1                      <-- tests outgoing connectivity
> ping download.virtualbox.org      <-- tests name resolution
Report any misconfiguration, or any errors from the "ping" commands.

If you can ping your "DefaultGateway", if you can ping "1.1.1.1", if you can ping "download.virtualbox.org", VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity. Look in your host for firewalls, proxies, antivirus filters, web-cleaning applications, redirectors, etc. For WinXP specifically, remember that the security certificates have expired about 10 years ago...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
t189desiderate

Post by t189desiderate »

I was trying to attach the screen shots as you requested in Step 2 above. To show you the errors.

Looks like GAs were already ejected.
I left it Mounted to the vm though.
I upgraded.

I increased the RAM to 2 GB.

You want me to disable or enable 2D and 3D acceleration?

Promiscuous Mode: I think that was just a troubleshooting step.
I think I saw that in a youtube video how to get NIC working.

VMDK: Again, not sure. Maybe it was the default.
It was there before I got here.
I'm guessing 002 because it has been moved to a couple different machines now.

Right after installing GAs and rebooting into Normal Mode, I got a Windows Update.
Checked Device Manager, NIC looks good.
So I am guessing it works good now.

I increased the Video RAM. (VRAM; this looks like Virtual RAM to me.)

Yes, it is because of the LAN setup. The Netmask is a /23 network.
It works.

I am able to browse the internet now and I was able to join the computer to our Domain.

Thank you so much for your help!!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

[color=#105289]t189desiderate[/color] wrote:You want me to disable or enable 2D and 3D acceleration?
[color=#00AA00]socratis[/color] wrote:Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display.
t189desiderate wrote:I increased the Video RAM. (VRAM; this looks like Virtual RAM to me.)
Nope. It's Video RAM.
t189desiderate wrote:I am able to browse the internet now and I was able to join the computer to our Domain.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].