Shared folder path not found

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
fraeic

Shared folder path not found

Post by fraeic »

Hello,
I have a problem with a Windows 10 guest in a Windows 10 host.
I use VirtualBox 5.12.
There are two shared folders. In the folder some exe files are executable and others not. After a double click I get the error message: path not found.
What can it be?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared folder path not found

Post by mpack »

Look at the path being reported in the error message. It will be incorrect in some way.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

fraeic wrote:In the folder some exe files are executable and others not.
That's the way things are. Some executables run from network folders, some don't. Talk to Microsoft and/or the software developer. That's how it is. Copy the files locally to the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fraeic

Post by fraeic »

Thanks for your contributions.
The same VM with Windows 7 works.
So I can not understand where the difference is between w10 and w7.

The error messages in the explorer is : "The specified path does not exist"
But it is possible to rename the file.
The same file can be run from a host Windows 10 system and a real network folder.

Btw "That's the way things are" or "That's how it is" are not helpful.
It is not necessary to write something if you have no idea.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fraeic wrote:So I can not understand where the difference is between w10 and w7.
You need to ask Microsoft.
fraeic wrote:Btw "That's the way things are" or "That's how it is" are not helpful.
Sorry, I can't do anything about the fact that you don't like that expression. You're going to hate that, but "that's the way things are".
fraeic wrote:It is not necessary to write something if you have no idea.
Seriously now? For real? OK, here it goes. I hope you're hungry for the gory details, I tried to save you from that. This is part of my notes on WSUS Offline (WSUSO from here on). I'll cut to the important parts, I won't bore you with even more details.

Note 1: If you run "UpdateGenerator.exe" from a Windows share that is not mapped (doesn't have a drive letter assigned), you get the following error:
  • The script was started from a UNC path.
    Please map a drive letter to the network share.
Note 2: If you run "UpdateInstaller.exe" from a VirtualBox share that is not mapped (does not a drive letter assigned), you get the following error:
  • Unable to assign a drive letter
    to the script path \\VBoxSvr\WSUS\client
Note 3: If you run "UpdateInstaller.exe" from a VirtualBox share that is mapped (has a drive letter assigned), you get the following error:
  • W:\Client\UpdateInstaller.exe
    The specified path does not exist.
    Check the path and then try again.
Solution 1: Disable UAC control temporarily. Then run "UpdateInstaller.exe" from a mapped share. You can turn off the network if you don't feel protected enough.

Solution 2: Copy the whole "WSUS\Client" sub-directory in the VM. It's several GB.

Explanation
When a user connects to a network share, Windows tries to connect with two sets of credentials. This fails due to the UAC control. It is so by design. For references and further reading on previous reports and the reasoning behind it (read especially the Microsoft links):
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fraeic

Post by fraeic »

It is always nice to be able to discuss things objectively. :mrgreen:

Maybe you should go outside and run around the house once. That also reduces aggression.

But thank you anyway for your effort.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I hope you got the info you were looking for. And then some...
I hope you're going to realize that when someone says "accept the facts", you'll do. Or do your own research, that's an option as well, most people do their research before reaching an "educated" conclusion...
micado

Post by micado »

Guess: You are using 5.2.12

Perhaps you have updated from 5.1.x

You might need to recreate your shares because they are not correctly transfered to 5.2.x
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

micado wrote:You might need to recreate your shares because they are not correctly transfered to 5.2.x
My shares have been working the same since the days of 3.x.y something, all the way to the development builds 5.x.97.
micado

Post by micado »

Hmm, I switched now several times on two different Laptops from 5.1 to 5.2 Releases and back (because of audio and bridged network issues). I have to recreate the shares every time.

Perhaps I use the wrong termination. I mean not the network share I mean the Shared Folders.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Maybe a log file will help? In VirtualBox manager, right click on the guest and select "Show logs". Save only the first log, zip it and post it here - straight after whatever it is you do that provokes the issue with the shared folders not being created.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.