Explorer Aborts If Bridged Ethernet Removed

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Explorer Aborts If Bridged Ethernet Removed

Post by saberman »

Host Windows 10 Pro x64 on Surface Pro I7
Guest Windows 10 Pro x64
VB 5.2.10

I normally run with the host machine in a Surface Pro 3 docking station. When I do that I have three network adapters defined for the guest:
1. NAT
2. Host Only
3. Bridged Ethernet hardware

When I take the host out of the docking station I disable (3). Unfortunately, the guest cycles through explorer aborts:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... 50830c4e1e

I have found if I restore the guest .vdi from the beginning of March I can run it disconnected from the docking station. It will eventually get some Windows updates and then it stops working outside the docking station.

I really don't want to keep restoring the VM from March. Is there anyway I can resolve this without completely rebuilding the VM?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Explorer Aborts If Bridged Ethernet Removed

Post by socratis »

I do not quite see the VirtualBox question here. It seems to me that the guest is problematic if it loses its network connection. The proof is that the guest (not VirtualBox) works with an older version, and if you don't update that version it works, right? So, it seems that a Win update is doing something nasty, no?
saberman wrote:Host Windows 10 Pro x64, Guest Windows 10 Pro x64
That's as good of a version identification as "Linux", or "OSX". We need complete details about the versions involved. Try "winver.exe" and we're going to need the whole string, e.g. "Win10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1607, Build 14393.1480".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Post by saberman »

>We need complete details about the versions involved
Windows 10 Pro X64 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Since I strongly believe that your guest is messed up, I need you to try with a brand new guest. All versions are as of this writing.

Option 1: You get a Win10 ISO from Microsoft. You create a Win10 VM, install using the downloaded ISO. 4.4 GB, version 1803, build 17134.

Option 2: You download a pre-made Win10 VM from Microsoft (saves you the installation time). There are two kinds of VMs, if you choose to go down that road:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.