"Windows cannot access \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Desktop" Network Error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
IvanH

"Windows cannot access \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Desktop" Network Error

Post by IvanH »

I transferred Windows 10 VM from VMware Fusion to VirtualBox. Since then, whenever I start Windows 10 from VirtualBox, I get the Network Error message "Windows cannot access \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Desktop".

How can it be fixed?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: "Windows cannot access \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Desktop" Network Error

Post by andyp73 »

Is that UNC accessed as a true network share or does it use the VMware equivalent to VirtualBox's shared folders provided by the guest additions?

If it is the former then you need to make sure that networking is operating correctly. If it is the latter, then you need to make sure you have installed the Guest Additions and created the shared folder correctly. Either way, the User Manual will be your friend.

-Andy.

EDIT: Corrected spelling
Last edited by andyp73 on 2. May 2018, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Maybe because there' no VMWare anymore?
Try with the IP address (\\1.2.3.4\Shared Folders\Desktop), try to browse your network.
This is not really a VirtualBox question, it's a Windows networking question, treat it as such...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IvanH

Post by IvanH »

Thanks guys.

I guess I temporarily fixed it in an inefficient way: change the properties of every folder of My PC from File Explorer, in that I changed the location of the folders to the default location. Then I Shut Down the Windows VM, and deleted all Shared Folders from the VirtualBox. Once Restart the VM, the message disappeared. It buys some time before I have it to read the Virtual Box User Manual.