Shared folder disappear after Win10 April 2018 upgrade

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
VikingOy

Shared folder disappear after Win10 April 2018 upgrade

Post by VikingOy »

The headline says it all: VB 5.2.8 r121009 failed to mount a shared folder after I upgraded Windows 10 Pro to Feature update April 2018 version. (1803).
Has anyone else seen the same problem?
Does anyone have a solution?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Shared folder disappear after Win10 April 2018 upgrade

Post by andyp73 »

Have you tried reinstalling the guest additions?

If that doesn't work, we will need to see the VBox.log file from the shutdown guest (zipped of course).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Reinstall the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GAs). You're going to have to do it with every Win10 major update. You can "thank" Microsoft for that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VikingOy

Post by VikingOy »

Hi Guys - and thanks for your replies.
I've done many upgrades earlier and never before had to worry about my shared folders.
I Deleted the folder. Shut down. Recreated it. And then boot up the guest OS again. No Go! :(

Then I reinstalled the GuestAdditions and viola - It works again!
Thanks for the advice :-)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

[color=#105289]VikingOy[/color] wrote:Need a better advice.
That's all you get I'm afraid, given the money you paid for support (or else known as "beggars cannot be choosers"). But, even under these circumstances, a "better advice" was already given to you:
[color=#3366CC]andyp73[/color] wrote:we will need to see the VBox.log file from the shutdown guest (zipped of course).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TimHerb
Primary OS: Mandriva
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by TimHerb »

The 5.2.10 Windows host file finally appeared but now where are the Guest Additions?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The Guest Additions are in the same place as they always are, in the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file which can be loaded into the guest using the Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD image... menu option when the guest is running.

Don't forget to "eject" the image when you have finished with it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
TimHerb

Post by TimHerb »

Um, I can't find a link on the downloads page. Is the Extension Pack the new Guest Additions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't read Andy's comment, did you now?
You do *not* need to download the GAs, they are already bundled with your VirtualBox installation. Please re-read Andy's comment, but carefully this time, I don't like copying/pasting other users' comments really, when I have simply nothing to add...
TimHerb

Post by TimHerb »

socratis wrote:You didn't read Andy's comment, did you now?
You do *not* need to download the GAs, they are already bundled with your VirtualBox installation. Please re-read Andy's comment, but carefully this time, I don't like copying/pasting other users' comments really, when I have simply nothing to add...
I read Andy's comment. He said the GAs are where they always are. For the past several years there was a separate link for them on the Download page, and they were NOT bundled with the host installation file. There isn't a link now. I'll see what comes with this long-delayed Win installation file, didn't see any reason to download it with GA. Sorry to annoy you, but those are the facts.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

TimHerb wrote:Sorry to annoy you, but those are the facts.
I'm afraid they're not. The GAs were bundled with VirtualBox since I can remember (3.x something, I'll look it up). But you missed the "snark" remark of Andy. "are in the same place as they always are" meant "bundled with VirtualBox".

Now, let me make it a little bit clearer:
  1. Launch your VM, preferably in normal/windowed mode.
  2. Look in the host menu bar, "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD image...".
  3. Go in your guest and look in the virtual CD Drive, you will have the GAs CD inserted.
  4. Run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".
  5. After installation/reboot, eject the GAs CD from the virtual CD drive inside your guest.
  6. Profit? ;)
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

The only separate download that has been available for a long time (possibly forever) is the extension pack which you install on the host in order to get USB 2.0, 3.0, RDP, Intel PXE type functions - the bits that aren't open source.

The Guest Additions iso will be in C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox in your Windows installation providing you went with the default options. As I said, previously, you don't need to know that as you can insert them automatically using the devices menu.

-Andy.

EDIT: Meh :evil:, beaten to posting the comment again! Still what can I expect with trying to type with two broken fingers!
TimHerb

Post by TimHerb »

Ok, because there was always (until now) a link to a GA loader I figured I needed it. I'll see what happens without it.
TimHerb

Post by TimHerb »

Ok. I installed the Win host. It then demanded I download a separate GA file. At least *it* new where to find the file. Obviously no longer linked on the Download page but no big deal.
TimHerb

Post by TimHerb »