No internet connection in bridged

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Intelibeam

No internet connection in bridged

Post by Intelibeam »

Hello,

I am fairly new to VB. I have been in a situation twice when I started up my computer and the guest says no internet? When I look is seems like it does not grab a ip address and then states its on a public network. No matter what I try to do when this happens I cant correct it. This happens in Bridged mode. I have had this same issue running Windows 7 and Windows 10 as the guest. Its extremely intermittent and would like to know how to fix it when it happens.

Guest Windows 7pro or 10
VB 5.2.10
OSX 10.12.6

Steven
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No internet connection in bridged

Post by socratis »

Intelibeam wrote:This happens in Bridged mode.
Bridged-over-WiFi, or Bridged-over-Ethernet?

Because Bridged and WiFi don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with Bridged-over-wired, or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Intelibeam

Re: No internet connection in bridged

Post by Intelibeam »

Hello and thank you for your questions.

Bridged over wifi. You are correct I believe it to be related to the WAP, for example I was in my office and everything was working fine. Got home and still no problem. Went back to my office the next day and could not connect no matter what I did. Oddly enough I believe when I went to another WAP it just started working? Its been woking since that time even when i wonder back to the other WAP. NAT works all the time but I am not able to talk to the devices on the network in that mode. Next time I get stuck I will try the Bridged over wired and see what happens.

Thanks again,
Steven