Unable to ping guest OS from machines on same network

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
kornesque

Unable to ping guest OS from machines on same network

Post by kornesque »

Hello all, I've searched high and low and have not found a solution to this problem that works for me so I'm turning to the oracle. Pun intended.

I recently installed Server 2016 on a VM with bridged adapter (promiscuous allow all) and it works fine from the guest. I can access shares on my home network, internet, all that jazz. I can ping my other network machines to hearts content with single digit replies. But I am unable to see the guest OS from any machine on my network, even from the host machine - ping attempts result in destination host unreachable. The guest adapter is set to the same subnet as the rest of my network and gateway is my physical router, same as the other machines. This guest OS is the only VM running, the other machines are physical.

I have disabled Windows Firewall on the guest OS just for good measure but no change in symptom. Does anybody have any good ideas to start with? I have two physical adapters on my host machine that act the same way if that narrows it down. Thank you kindly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to ping guest OS from machines on same network

Post by socratis »

If you can ping your "gateway", if you can ping "8.8.8.8", if you can ping "google.com", VirtualBox is working as it should. You should look elsewhere for your networking connectivity issues.
ping attempts result in destination host unreachable.
That shows some sort of network misconfiguration. Post the output of:
  • ipconfig /a
from your guest. Unfortunately you didn't even hint about your host (see Minimum information needed for assistance), so I don't know what my advice should be. If it's Win-based, obviously it's the same command as for the guest above. If it's *nix based, the relevant command is:
  • ifconfig -a
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

kornesque wrote:I have disabled Windows Firewall on the guest OS just for good measure but no change in symptom.
That isn't the best way to go about getting a Windows Server to respond to ping requests (which are by default disabled). The simplest option is to add the "File and printer sharing role" or enabled the ICMPv4-IN and optionally ICMPv6-In rules.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
kornesque

Post by kornesque »

socratis, that's what I get for posting while tired. I am editing anything that the forum thinks is a url due to posting restrictions.

Version: 5.2.8 r121009
Host: Win10 Pro x64, Guest: Server Essentials 2016 x64 (4GB each)
VBoxHardening.log contents: attatched

ipconfig /a came up with incomplete command error but here's the output of ipconfig /all on guest:

Code: Select all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : AFAServer
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : AFA..local
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : AFA.local
                                       sc.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : sc..rr..com
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-B4-4B-E4
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c524:8f0:70b5:d31%14(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.146(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 26, 2018 9:09:57 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 27, 2018 9:09:54 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 235405351
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-72-D4-5D-08-00-27-B4-4B-E4
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.sc.rr.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : sc..rr..com
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:286e:213e:5194:376f(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::286e:213e:5194:376f%9(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 150994944
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-72-D4-5D-08-00-27-B4-4B-E4
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
andyp73, forgot to qualify that this is Server Essentials so File and Print role is already turned on, but for good measure I re-enabled firewall and turned off the rule you listed, rebooted and still have negres.

I agree at this point that it is not a VB issue (I had trouble getting bridged adapter connectivity and must have gotten tunnel vision), but if anything stands out in what I've provided please advise. Thanks again for all your help.
Attachments
Server 2016-2018-04-26-20-43-24.log
(97.13 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kornesque wrote:ipconfig /a came up with incomplete command error but here's the output of ipconfig /all on guest
Of course! D'oh! :shock:

You didn't include your host's TCP/IP configuration, only the guest's. I'm going to need the host's as well. But from the log, I saw this:
00:00:03.232598 Network <string> = "HostInterfaceNetworking-802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card" (cb=54)
You're Bridging to a USB WiFi adapter. Could you try it with an Ethernet/wired connection? I don't think it's going to make a difference, just shooting in the dark here, until I see the host's configuration.

Finally, just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.