VBox on win 10 - blue screen on install of XP guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBox on win 10 - blue screen on install of XP guest

Post by mpack »

You should not run VirtualBox as adminstrator. It would be hard to do so properly anyway, since VirtualBox has multiple independent executables.

You seem to have a problem with files in the OneDrive executables folder having bad certificates. I'm not sure why OneDrive needs to have its fingers in the VirtualBox process anyway... presumably to redirect file accesses online and I can't think of an upside to that.

Personally I had deleted OneDrive almost before my Win10 PC finished it's first boot. At the very least I'd consider telling it to lay off of VirtualBox, if that is possible.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

EA as in Electronic Arts? They should not be hard to find.

Enable passthough mode in the settings for the virtual cd (while it is mapped to a host drive). That will allow the game to verify the CD.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:09.469632 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS
You will need to address/fix this. Your Intel i5-540M most certainly supports VT-x, so it's a matter of enabling it in the BIOS. See your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Swell

Post by Swell »

mpack wrote:You should not run VirtualBox as adminstrator. It would be hard to do so properly anyway, since VirtualBox has multiple independent executables.

You seem to have a problem with files in the OneDrive executables folder having bad certificates. I'm not sure why OneDrive needs to have its fingers in the VirtualBox process anyway... presumably to redirect file accesses online and I can't think of an upside to that.

Personally I had deleted OneDrive almost before my Win10 PC finished it's first boot. At the very least I'd consider telling it to lay off of VirtualBox, if that is possible.
Do I NOT have to be an Administrator to install guest OS ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No. Being administrator does NOT give you any additional powers in the VirtualBox world. A simple user, an administrator, even a guest (if your host allows guest access) all have the same powers in VirtualBox.

There's one thing to remember though. Each user can see only their own VMs. So, an administrator cannot see a simple user's VMs. Special care has to be provided to enable that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Swell

Post by Swell »

mpack wrote:EA as in Electronic Arts? They should not be hard to find.

Enable passthough mode in the settings for the virtual cd (while it is mapped to a host drive). That will allow the game to verify the CD.
Ah! :mrgreen: it was about 4 or 5 years ago I tried to run this game in win 7 . EA had stopped supporting the game.

I set Passthrough mode which enabled the game to proceed, but then I get the following error.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (60.46 KiB) Viewed 1824 times
DirectX 9.0 is installed in the guest, I turned hardware acceleration on
increased the video ram to 64MB . Still get the same error message.
Swell

Post by Swell »

socratis wrote:No. Being administrator does NOT give you any additional powers in the VirtualBox world. A simple user, an administrator, even a guest (if your host allows guest access) all have the same powers in VirtualBox.

There's one thing to remember though. Each user can see only their own VMs. So, an administrator cannot see a simple user's VMs. Special care has to be provided to enable that.
I do know that when I did the successful install of the guest OS (XP) into the VBox I was doing the install in Adminstrator mode.
Swell

Post by Swell »

I will check if I can enable VT-x in my BIOS
Last edited by socratis on 4. May 2018, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Swell

Post by Swell »

I checked and Virtualisation is and has always been enabled in my BIOS.
Last edited by socratis on 4. May 2018, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. The BIOS is one thing. There are others that prevent VT-x from being available. Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Those are guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
  2. Re: your game: Programs like these have strict requirements for the graphics card specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen, or if it will happen at all.