Media player classic

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
winoni71

Media player classic

Post by winoni71 »

Hello,
I have a problem with "Media player classic" in my "Windows 7 32 bit" virtual machine.

While watching videos with that program, it's possible to zoom in/out and rotate using the numpad.
For some reason it doesn't work on the guest machine, when I press the corresponding keys nothing happens.

The numpad is of course active and the keyboard is captured by the guest machine.

What could be the problem?

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Media player classic

Post by socratis »

winoni71 wrote:it's possible to zoom in/out and rotate using the numpad.
winoni71 wrote:What could be the problem?
That's because there is no numpad in your VM. The emulated, virtual keyboard has absolutely nothing to do with your physical keyboard, it's a standard PS/2 keyboard. And since the PS/2 keyboard does not include a numpad, you don't get to use one.

There could be an "exotic" solution where you have a second, USB-keyboard, for which you will create a USB filter and capture it inside your VM. But I don't think you want to go there... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Media player classic

Post by mpack »

PS/2 keyboards certainly had a numeric keypad, even the original IBM PC keyboard did.

Does this MPC feature work after you press the NumLock key?

I have to say that as an MPC user myself, that feature sometimes mysteriously works, and sometimes mysteriously doesn't, and I've never bothered to pin down why. This is with different videos on the same physical PC, nothing to do with being in a VM.