Windows 10 Display Size(Full HD) Problem

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Display Size(Full HD) Problem

Post by socratis »

@arch2brain
What's your host's resolution? Is it HiDPI? What's the resolution you were shooting for? What's the resolution if you take your guest FullScreen?

Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arch2brain

Post by arch2brain »

@socratis: See my very first post, all the data are included there. :)
-> host resolution: 2560x1440
-> desired resolution with maximized main window: 2560x1335 (working on Windows Host, was also working on linux host in older VBox versions)
-> Win10 guest full screen resolution: 1280x720 (can't switch to higher values)

Code: Select all

xdpyinfo|grep resolution
  resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
See the zipped VM config attached.
[Mod edit: Attached zipped ".vbox" file removed after review, due to privacy issues]
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

arch2brain wrote:-> host resolution: 2560x1440
But, is it? That's the question. The answer? It's not. The effective resolution that you're getting is half that; (2560/2)x(1440/2) = 1280x720. That's HiDPI at work for you. If you were actually in 2560x1440, you wouldn't be able to see anything without presbyopia glasses. ;)

My MacBookPro Retina has a "marketing" resolution of 2880x1800. I've only got that when either booting in console mode, or when I was dual-booting on Win10 (instead of OSX). The largest effective resolution that I get in OSX is 1920x1200 (or 2/3=66%). The "standard" resolutions that you are offered besides that one, are 1680x1050 (or 7/12=58%), 1440x900 (or 1/2=50%, DEFAULT), 1280x800 (or 4/9=44%) or 1024x640 (or 16/45=35%). So, I'll never get a 2880x1800 on any of my guests. The best case scenario is 1920x1200 when run in full-screen. Just like yours.

Nothing to see here folks, keep on moving along...

PS. I removed your zipped VM recipe (the .vbox file). You had a password in the description of the snapshot... :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:My MacBookPro Retina has a "marketing" resolution of 2880x1800. I've only got that when either booting in console mode, or when I was dual-booting on Win10 (instead of OSX).
You wouldn't want to (or maybe you would) but if you hold down the "Option" key when switching the display settings from "Default for display" to "Scaled" you get resolutions rather than the predefined "Larger Text" to "More Space" options. I tried setting my 27" iMac to 5120x2880 and damn (excuse the language) does everything get very small.

Not sure what effective resolution that would give me with a Windows guest at full screen as the opticians bill wouldn't have been worth it to find out!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:but if you hold down the "Option" key when switching the display settings ... you get resolutions rather than the predefined
Not on the MBPr. I know about the Opt+Display (or for other Preferences as well), but I don't get that. Maybe is an OSX version thing, but I never got resolutions instead of the predetermined options. I *do* get additional settings for my two external monitors, but not for the built-in one...
arch2brain

Post by arch2brain »

@socratis: Thanks. :)
But please don't play jokes with me regarding guest resolutions, this is no HiDPI issue, in linux I'm working with 96 DPI and everything was working perfectly fine a few versions of VirtualBox ago. I've attached two screenshots showing resolution in maximized window on Windows and on Linux host, the difference is obvious. :)
Attachments
Screenshots_Windows_and_Linux-Host.zip
(179.33 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

arch2brain wrote:But please don't play jokes with me
I'll attribute that to a "lost in translation" issue, giving you the benefit of the doubt...

Who told you that how the resolution presented by different OSes is the same? I don't get it. You're comparing apples to oranges. As I mentioned, on my MBPr I *cannot* get 2880x1800 when I boot on OSX, only 1920x1280. I *do* get that when I boot the same exact computer in Windows 10. What does that mean? that the computer is broken? That VirtualBox is broken? That OSX is broken? Answer: None of the above.

Different OSes understand, process and present different resolutions. If your Linux host when asked about the available resolutions shows 1280x720 as the max, I'm not sure that VirtualBox can do anything about that. It most certainly cannot "assume" that your host is "lying".

Like my OSX does...
arch2brain

Post by arch2brain »

@socratis: Well, I can get my desired high resolution using Qemu/KVM on Linux, so it's not lying at all. This is leading nowhere, you don't really want to admit that Oracle messed up something in the last versions of this software that hasn't been fixed up till today. Sorry, if you treat your customers like that, you are going to lose a lot of them, this makes me sad. I'm going to port my virtual machines to Qemu/KVM and remove Virtualbox, because it is unusable for me.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

arch2brain wrote:something in the last versions of this software that hasn't been fixed up to today.
You are going to have to be more specific in order to allow us to help you. Your original post said 5.2.10 didn't work as you expected and you have tested 5.2.12 and that doesn't work either. Do any of the 5.2.x releases work? If so, which?
arch2brain wrote:if you treat your customers like that, you are going to lose a lot of them
No-one here is a customer of anyone. This is a user to user forum where those folks who have more experience of using VirtualBox share their knowledge and experience to help others. If you want a support contract with Oracle then details are available on their website but it will cost you somewhere around US$6,000.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm going to post one last comment, not for arch2brain, but for others that may be landing on this thread, and then I'm out of here.

HiDPI support in VirtualBox was originally only available for OSX, since Macs were the first computers to support it reliably. The rest of the hardware and OSes took a while to catch up, and I don't believe that there is yet a standard way of dealing with HiDPI (I'm talking about the API). For example there's no "Use Unscaled HiDPI output" (VM Settings » Display) in any other host, except for the OSX ones.

The next version of VirtualBox is supposed to address this. But, it's not yet ready, not even for alpha testing. You could try the development builds if you want to see how this feature might be implemented in a future VirtualBox version. As with any development builds, expect other issues to creep up. These are not for everyday use, they should only be installed if you know that you're going to be facing a myriad of problems in that, or other areas.

arch2brain, you might need to adjust some "settings". And I'm not referring to software, or hardware...
arch2brain

Post by arch2brain »

@andyp73: It's broken in all recent versions including the current one, it started with the update to version 5.2.4.
I can't install older versions on arch linux manually, seems to be a python 2/3 issue:

./VirtualBox-5.0.0-101573-Linux_amd64.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation...........
VirtualBox Version 5.0.0 r101573 (2015-07-09T10:41:09Z) installer
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of vboxautostart-service.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of vboxballoonctrl-service.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of vboxweb-service.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox
ln: die symbolische Verknüpfung '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/virtualbox.png' konnte nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits
ln: die symbolische Verknüpfung '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/virtualbox.png' konnte nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits
ln: die symbolische Verknüpfung '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/virtualbox.png' konnte nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits
ln: die symbolische Verknüpfung '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/virtualbox.png' konnte nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits
ln: die symbolische Verknüpfung '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/virtualbox.png' konnte nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits
ln: die symbolische Verknüpfung '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/virtualbox.svg' konnte nicht angelegt werden: Die Datei existiert bereits
Python found: python, installing bindings...
  File "vboxapisetup.py", line 21
    print "Cleaning COM cache at",comCache1,"and",comCache2
                                ^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print("Cleaning COM cache at",comCache1,"and",comCache2)?
Building the VirtualBox kernel modules
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.16.8-1-ARCH (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/make.log for more information.

VirtualBox has been installed successfully.

You will find useful information about using VirtualBox in the user manual
  /opt/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf
and in the user FAQ
  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ

We hope that you enjoy using VirtualBox.
And /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/make.log gives:

DKMS make.log for vboxhost-5.0.0 for kernel 4.16.8-1-ARCH (x86_64)
Mo 14. Mai 11:53:58 CEST 2018
make: Verzeichnis „/usr/lib/modules/4.16.8-1-ARCH/build“ wird betreten
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/linux/VBoxNetFlt-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/VBoxPci-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/VBoxNetFlt.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/VBoxNetAdp.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/VBoxPci.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/SUPR0IdcClient.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrv.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/SUPR0IdcClientComponent.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/SUPR0IdcClient-linux.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/SUPR0IdcClient.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/SUPR0IdcClientComponent.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/linux/SUPR0IdcClient-linux.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c: In Funktion »VBoxDrvLinuxUnload«:
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:480:8: Fehler: void-Wert nicht ignoriert wie es sein sollte
     rc = misc_deregister(&gMiscDeviceUsr);
        ^
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:485:8: Fehler: void-Wert nicht ignoriert wie es sein sollte
     rc = misc_deregister(&gMiscDeviceSys);
        ^
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvGip.o
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:325: /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** Es wird auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse gewartet....
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.c: In Funktion »vboxNetAdpLinuxXmit«:
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.c:138:14: Fehler: »struct net_device« hat kein Element namens »trans_start«; meinten Sie »mem_start«?
     pNetDev->trans_start = jiffies;
              ^~~~~~~~~~~
              mem_start
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.c: In Funktion »VBoxNetAdpLinuxUnload«:
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.c:435:8: Fehler: void-Wert nicht ignoriert wie es sein sollte
     rc = misc_deregister(&g_CtlDev);
        ^
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:324: /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp/linux/VBoxNetAdp-linux.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:583: /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetadp] Fehler 2
make[1]: *** Es wird auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse gewartet....
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:70,
                 from /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c:21:
In Funktion »strncpy«,
    eingefügt von »vboxPciOsDevDetachHostDriver« bei/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c:414:9:
./include/linux/string.h:246:9: Warnung: »__builtin_strncpy« angegebene Grenze 64 ist genau die Größe des Ziels [-Wstringop-truncation]
  return __builtin_strncpy(p, q, size);
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsContigMemInfo()+0x9a: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevRegisterWithIommu()+0x17: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevUnregisterWithIommu()+0x15: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevReset()+0x1c: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevDetachHostDriver()+0x24: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevInit()+0x33: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevRegisterIrqHandler()+0x17: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsInitVm()+0x3b: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDeinitVm()+0xd: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevRegisterWithIommu.cold.4()+0x31: return with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevDetachHostDriver.cold.7()+0x26: return with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxPciOsDevRegisterIrqHandler.cold.11()+0x37: return with modified stack frame
  LD [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxpci/vboxpci.o
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/linux/.tmp_VBoxNetFlt-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxNetFltLinuxSkBufFromSG()+0x61b: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/linux/.tmp_VBoxNetFlt-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxNetFltLinuxUnhookDev()+0xfa: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/linux/.tmp_VBoxNetFlt-linux.o: warning: objtool: vboxNetFltLinuxUnhookDev.cold.8()+0x24: sibling call from callable instruction with modified stack frame
  LD [M]  /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxnetflt/vboxnetflt.o
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:583: /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build/vboxdrv] Fehler 2
make: *** [Makefile:1562: _module_/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.0/build] Fehler 2
make: Verzeichnis „/usr/lib/modules/4.16.8-1-ARCH/build“ wird verlassen
MarekBe

Post by MarekBe »

Hello, I have a very similar problem. I have an older Windows 10 guest machine operated on Ubuntu 17.10 host. After today's large MS update, I can only see the resolution up to 1280x1024. The other guests I have are OK (Windows 7, Ubuntu, CentOS). I tried to upgrate VirtualBox from 5.2.8 to 5.2.12, but no luck.

Is there any progress on this issue? This looks to me like a bug in VirtualBox related to the latest Windows 10. Log is attached.

00:00:10.710377 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxWddmPickResources: found the VBE card
00:00:10.713268 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::DxgkDdiStartDevice: using HGSMI
00:00:10.714022 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxWddmVModesAdd: WARNING! :resolution 1400x1050 not accepted by the frontend
00:00:10.714191 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxWddmVModesAdd: WARNING! :resolution 1600x1200 not accepted by the frontend
00:00:10.714353 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::vboxWddmVModesAdd: WARNING! :resolution 1920x1440 not accepted by the frontend
00:00:10.714452 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::voxWddmVModesInitForTarget: WARNING! :vps(0x57)!=NO_ERROR
00:00:10.714608 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::voxWddmVModesInitForTarget: WARNING! :vps(0x57)!=NO_ERROR
00:00:10.845501 VBVA: InfoScreen: [0] @0,0 1280x1024, line 0x1400, BPP 32, flags 0x1
00:00:10.845521 Display::handleDisplayResize: uScreenId=0 pvVRAM=00007f296c000000 w=1280 h=1024 bpp=32 cbLine=0x1400 flags=0x1
00:00:10.845561 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::NotifyChange: Screen=0, Origin=0x0, Size=1280x1024, Sending to async-handler
00:00:10.845611 GUI: UIMachineView::sltHandleNotifyChange: Screen=0, Size=1280x1024
00:00:10.845622 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::handleNotifyChange: Size=1280x1024
00:00:10.845884 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::performResize: Size=1280x1024, Directly using source bitmap content
Attachments
Windows10_x64-2018-06-01-18-18-27.log
Virtual box log.
(92.36 KiB) Downloaded 13 times