XP Guest Hang During Windows Loading Screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
B_Styles9090

XP Guest Hang During Windows Loading Screen

Post by B_Styles9090 »

Hello All,

I'm looking to run a Windows XP guest on a Windows Server 2008 host, however, the guest hangs at the Windows loading screen. Here are the system's specifics:

Host - Windows Server 2008 64-bit w/ 8GBs of memory

-Virtual Box v5.2.8

Guest - Windows XP SP3 32-bit w/ 1GB of memory

-Guest Additions - v5.2.8

I've also attached the Vbox log and image files generated by the guest. What alterations should I make to eliminate said boot error?

Thanks in advanced.
Attachments
VBox Log.zip
(41.38 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
VBox.png
VBox.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: XP Guest Hang During Windows Loading Screen

Post by socratis »

00:00:00.719055 DMI Product Name: VMware Virtual Platform
Is this a case of nested virtualization?
00:00:00.872527 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
If you address this, your WinXP will boot.
00:00:35.024799 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)
This is the result of not having VT-x and the execution falls back to raw mode. There are several tickets about this: 15618, 15685, 16165, 16412, and more. Specifically from 16412:
Because your hardware virtualization is turned off, VB tries to use its software layer, so called raw mode. Because of partial rewrite for version 5.1, this part is slightly broken. Take a look at this ticket #16165 and tickets mentioned in it. If your problem couldn’t be solved by changing BIOS settings or turning Hyper-V off, you should go back to the current 5.0.x version, where the raw mode works. And hope, that someday the raw mode bug would be corrected in the current branch.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
B_Styles9090

Post by B_Styles9090 »

VB is running in a nested, non Hyper-V, environment.

I did some testing in VB 5.0.24, and found that it would not accept the 5.2.8 guest export. To circumvent this, I exported the guest from VB 5.1.x, then imported it to 5.0.24. At which point I encountered a per-boot startup error (see attached VBox log). Under the system parameters in place, what adjustments would be most appropriate to promote full guest execution?

Thanks in advanced.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(7.42 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

B_Styles9090 wrote:I did some testing in VB 5.0.24, and found that it would not accept the 5.2.8 guest export.
Do not export/import the VM. Simply run it with 5.0.24 as is. It will run just fine.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
B_Styles9090

Post by B_Styles9090 »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when running VB 5.0.24, the installation itself removes the existing iteration of VB - which then causes the 1 (0x1). Should I simply nest 5.0.24 withing 5.2.8, then attempt running the VM?

Or

Is there a way to run VB versions parallel to one another?

Thanks in advanced.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

B_Styles9090 wrote:when running VB 5.0.24, the installation itself removes the existing iteration of VB
That's the idea. You can't have two installation of VirtualBox, only one.
B_Styles9090 wrote: which then causes the 1 (0x1).
What's the "1"?

Here's the thing. You don't have VT-x, therefore you can't run 5.2.x. Your *ONLY* chance is to use something older, like 5.0.x. That's it. And that's with no guarantees. As is: it's unsupported.