[Solved] changed host printer and now cannot print in guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Alan UK

[Solved] changed host printer and now cannot print in guest

Post by Alan UK »

NOW SOLVED - Solution below

Hi. I appreciate this is a common problem but I'm struggling to resolve it despite looking at many posts. So apologies if this is a bit boring :wink:

I've changed my printer and now the new printer is not working from the Guest. I get "this document failed to print".

Host: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
Guest: Windows XP Home Edition SP3 32bit
Printer: Cannon ip4300 USB connected
VBox: v.3.20 r96997
Network connection: Bridge Adapter; Promiscuous Mode: Allow All; Cable connected ticked
Guest Printer Driver: Canon ip4300vst200ea23 driver 32 bit Win XP etc

Until recently I had an Canon ip5200 printer and could print OK from the Host and the Guest. The ip5200 failed and I replaced with an ip4300

On connecting the ip4300 to the Host, Windows 7 recognised the new hardware and installed the right driver. The printer works from the Host. Printer sharing is enabled.

I started the Guest and uninstalled the ip5200 printers in Printers and Faxes and installed the ip4300 driver. At the end of the installation I ticked the box "select printer port" and was displayed a list of all ports including the shared network printer. However it showed:

\\XXXX\XXXX Canon iP500 and not ip4300 where XXXX is my Host name. With no other choice I select that and the installer completed and my Printers and Faxes now shows Canon ip4300. Here's the Host and Guest Port settings:

Cannot as a new member insert URLs so here is a try at working around that- add 3 w's and a dot:

alancooper.me.uk/images/Canon_Host_Ports.jpg

alancooper.me.uk/images/Canon_Guest_Ports.jpg

I then right clicked and selected Properties and chose Print Test Page. This fails with "this document failed to print ". Document name is Test Page and printer name is Canon ip4300.

Strange Settings: Right clicking the VBox USB icon I see Canon ip4300 [0108] in the list but in Machine/Settings/USB there is currently no USB printer (though I did once try to define a USB printer before I remembered that the Bridge approach is better)

I know way back I had problems with using the ip5200 from the Guest but I did get it working eventually. And all I've done now is remove the ip5200 and add the ip4300 printer drivers.

Suggestions welcome.

Many thanks for reading. Sorry it's a bit long.
Alan

================ SOLVED =================

It occurred to me that I had relied on Windows 7 Host to install the driver. So I:
- deleted the printer in the Win 7 Host
- downloaded the Win 7 64 bit drivers from Canon
- installed. Ran OK but this did not add the printer.
- then thought the printer maybe in standby, so turned on and off
- Win 7 Host then installed driver!
- So installed the downloaded driver again (did not delete the printer first).
- this time I noticed that it was connected to virtual port USB001 (this was the port originally used by my old ip5200 printer)

Went to Win XP Guest and:
- thought I uninstalled the ip4300 printer but realised later that the dialog confirm prompt had got hidden
- installed the downloaded Win XP 32 bit driver again and at the last step clicked to manually assign the port
- found that USB001 was now ip4300 and USB002 was the funny ip500.
- selected USB001 and completed the install
- found I had 2 ip4300 printers: Canon ip4300 (the old one linked to port USB002) and Canon ip4300 (copy 2) (the new one to USB001)
- deleted the original ip4300 printer
- renamed Canon ip4300 (copy 2) to Canon ip4300
- went to properties/ports and deleted the old ip500 on USB002 and left the new ip4300 assigned to USB001
- did a test print - OK!

Just lost about 5 hour on this :(

Possible causes:
1. originally relying on Windows 7 to install the new printer driver and it linked up to the old ip5200 software which somehow got labelled as ip500
2. originally new ip4300 got assigned to USB002 as ip500 whilst USB001 still existed for ip5200 causing confusion

Hope this helps someone else.