Problems With Unreachable Network Drives

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Problems With Unreachable Network Drives

Post by saberman »

VB: 5.2.8 r121009
Guest: Windows 10 Pro x64
Host: Windows 10 Pro x64 Running on a new Surface Pro I7

When the host is in a Surface Pro 3 docking station it is connected to a number of USB drives. The drives are shared and are mapped by the guest as \\<host name>\<Share Name>.

The guests has the following network adapters defined:
0. NAT
1. Virtual Box Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
2. Surface Ethernet Adapter (Bridged)
3. Marvell AVAST Wireless-AC Network Controller (Bridged)(Disabled when in the dock.)

If I remove the host from the dock and disable (2) when I log into the VM I get a popup about not being able to connect all network drives and Explorer aborts. Then it starts again gives the popup message and aborts.

Edit:
It is not the defined network links. I started the VM with (2) enabled. Deleted all of the linked network shares. Closed it and disabled (2). Started it and got the same Explorer aborts but without the prompt about being unable to connect all network drives.

I will try and attach:
The VB log, machine definition and the Application Event Log entry for the Explorer abort.
I had to zip the VB log as it was too big.
I had to rename the machine definition to .xml to upload it.
I had to zip the VB log as it was too big.
Attachments
ExplorerAbort.xml
Explorer Abort
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
W10PX64-2010X32_UPG - Copy.xml
Machine Definition
(13.19 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
VBox.zip
VB Log
(28.93 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Re: Problems With Unreachable Network Drives

Post by saberman »

Found the problem. In the area where network drives are shown was an icon for Microsoft Web Sites. I deleted that and am able to run the VM with only NAT and Host-Only adapters.

Edit: Still having problem.
I was using the host out of the docking station while connected to the internet via optimum. When I started the VM and logged in explorer keep aborting. I shutdown the VM and disconnected from optimum. I then started the VM and was able to log in without explorer aborting. Then I switched to the host and connected to optimum. Switched back to the VM and was able to access the internet via NAT.

I am beginning to think it may be time to rebuild the VM from scratch but that will be painful.