Can't assign more than 8 cores to Win10 64 guest? (#17898)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
oizo

Re: Can't assign more than 8 cores to Win10 64 guest ?

Post by oizo »

I can't explain it either as I lack the necessary knowledge. But it does work, the only problem is that performance seems far worse than when using the standard setting and only 8 cores. The errors thrown in the logs posted above say something about Hypervisor and failure. I am going back to 8 cores and default settings for virtualization to see if performance is restored.

Looking forward to see if anyone else has an idea on how to solve this.
Thommen

Post by Thommen »

I join the thread. More than 8 CPU cores can not work. 8 cores are efficient. I have Arch Linux.
MoH

Post by MoH »

Signed up just to post on this thread.

I also can't assign more than 8 cores to my server 2012 VM's. If I do, the VM will fail to boot with a fatal error(will post a log when I get back to work).

Also, VirtualBox can't see all 64 threads of the AMD 2990wx, just 32.

Spec:
2990wx, Windows 10 with the latest VirtualBox
johnny2019

Post by johnny2019 »

Hello, it does work on my configuration which is a 12 cores x 2 threads each Xenon CPU only using default mode, as mentioned before. I could run 18 cores on that machine. I wander when or if this issue will ever be solved.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

See ticket #17898: Can Not Assign More Than 8 Processors to Windows 10 Guest. Actually tying the ticket to the thread, and the thread to the ticket.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.