Connect Guest1 to internet through Guest2

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Phonetic

Connect Guest1 to internet through Guest2

Post by Phonetic »

Edit:
So, what I am trying to do is have two windows 10 computers, Windows10No1 is a honeypot to which potentially dangerous individuals are allowed full remote desktop access. And Windows10No2 used as a machine to send commands using utilities like PsExec to Windows10No1 in order to confuse and frustrate anyone with remote desktop access to Windows10No1. I have pfSenseNo1 which acts as a router and VPN to isolate the VMs from Host (Windows 10) and mask IP address. Right now pfSenseNo1 has two NICs, one nat and one internal network, each of the Windows10 VMs have one internal network nic. Both Windows10 VMs have internet access through pfSenseNo1 but at this point they cannot ping each other.

Does this look like a good setup?

Original Post (with dubiously legal stuff removed):

Code: Select all

Hello, I am quite new to VMs and networking. Below I have described my situation:

Host:
Windows 10, as isolated as possible from the guests, connected to the local network and directly to internet without a VPN.

Guest1: 
A Windows 10 honeypot to which potentially dangerous individuals are allowed full remote desktop access. To anyone connected this, it should (as much as is practical) appear as if it is running on bare metal and not a VM. Ideally looks like it is connected to a typical home router and has only one network connection. Connected to the internet through Guest2.

Guest2: 
Windows 10, used as a machine to send commands using utilities like PsExec to Guest1 in order to confuse and frustrate anyone with remote desktop access. Guest2 will be running NordVPN to hide my IP address from people with access to Guest1 and isolate Guest1 from the local network.

Right now, I believe the way to do this is to have both guests have network adapters attached to "Internal Network" and Guest2 to also have an adapter attached to "NAT". I have done this and can ping between the two guests (I had to disable the windows firewall on both machines) and Guest2 can access the internet. I have tried using ICS to share the NAT connection on Guest2 but have been unsuccessful. I have not yet installed or configured the VPN.

Any help would be appreciated, I will happily update this with information that is requested.
Last edited by Phonetic on 6. Apr 2018, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Connect Guest1 to internet through Guest2

Post by BillG »

Running MacOS on non-Apple hardware is not legal and is not supported (and best not even mentioned) on this site.

You have not really though this through. Your honeypot cannot be in the internal network with the other vm. All they will see is each other. The honeypot has to be in a network where it can reach the Internet and be reached from the Internet. The standard solution would be for the honeypot to have its own connection to the Internet and a second NIC in the internal network. You could then set up NAT in the honeypot to give the other vm Internet access.

I would forget about ICS. Use an OS which supports NAT or run third party software to provide it.
Bill
Phonetic

Post by Phonetic »

Okay, so what I have done is create 3 VMs one of which is pfSense and two are windows. The windows machines connecting to the internet through pfSense, now I just need to figure out how to get them communicating with each other.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If they are in the same network and getting their network config from pfSense, there should be nothing else to do.
Bill