[Solved] Windows NT 4 Cannot apply Video Modes

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rytomi

[Solved] Windows NT 4 Cannot apply Video Modes

Post by rytomi »

Hello, I've reference this forum many times in the past for answers to my problems, but can't seem to find one for my current issue.

I've recently updated to Windows 10 and have permanently switched to VirtualBox for my virtualization software (since VirtualPC literally won't run anymore). I decided to start with the newer OSes and work backward, and so far I've got my Windows XP and Windows 2000 guests installed with no problems, however I'm having problems with Windows NT 4.

My setup:
My Windows NT 4 install disc is a Service Pack 1 release. I was able to install the OS in a 4 GB NTFS formatted volume, then ran the Service Pack 6a installer.
I next ran the installer for the Guest Additions (by using the insert ISO from the menu), and it didn't give any errors.
On reboot, the seamless mouse integration is working, but none of the other additions seemed to have installed, most importantly the graphics. The guest reported that the "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter" was installed, but any change to the video settings resulted in an error "The screen was not visible due to a limitation of your video card or display monitor."
I tried to reinstall the driver, but it couldn't find the files. I manually extracted the files and then reinstalled the driver in the guest, rebooted, and still can't change the video mode. On every boot I receive the message "The currently selected display resolution is invalid." and the Display Properties box automatically appears.

There also is no sound (though I haven't yet tried installing it manually as specified in the forum).
There doesn't seem to be ACPI either, as on shutdown I get the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" prompt.

I've attached a ZIP of my Logs folder for the VM. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
Logs.zip
(148.58 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Last edited by rytomi on 4. Apr 2018, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows NT 4 Guest Additions don't install

Post by mpack »

First, the GAs have been installed, so the topic title is misleading.

I might try reducing the graphics RAM to something substantially less than 128MB. I don't believe anything like that existed in the NT4 era. In fact you'd be very lucky if the host PC itself had a quarter of that. I would try with 16MB.

And perhaps try disabling 2D acceleration too - I'm not sure that overlay support was standardized in the NT4 era.
rytomi

Re: Windows NT 4 Guest Additions don't install

Post by rytomi »

Thanks, this seems to have helped a little, but hasn't resolved.
I turned off the 2D Acceleration and lowered the graphics memory to 16 MB. Now I can successfully "test" the modes and they appear, but I cannot apply them. After the reboot I still receive the "invalid resolution" message.

Also, I changed the title maybe it's better now?
Last edited by socratis on 11. Apr 2018, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Windows NT 4 Cannot apply Video Modes

Post by mpack »

Can you show me a screenshot of this "invalid resolution" error message?
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

mpack wrote:Can you show me a screenshot of this "invalid resolution" error message?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (28.63 KiB) Viewed 8181 times
This appears after reboot regardless of what video mode I select.
Oddly enough, the "Test" button will show the video mode correctly.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What display settings were you trying to choose?

In the manager UI, not the VM, try going into File|Preferences|Display|Maximum Guest Screen Size and set the field to None. The VM needs to be shut down while you do that.

Another thing to consider: In the guest, to start with try to ensure that the size you pick corresponds to the current display geometry. I.e. don't try to select a widescreen display size if the current size is 4:3. I would stick to 4:3 sizes for now.
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

Changed the suggested setting and it only made more resolutions available to me (added resolutions that are beyond that of my monitor).

As for the display mode I'm trying to select, it actually makes no difference what I select. Even if I try the lowest possible setting, 640x480 at 256 colors, it still won't apply the setting.
Modes I specifically tried were:
640x480 in each color option
800x600 in each color option
1024x768 in each color option
1400x1050 in True Color
Last edited by socratis on 11. Apr 2018, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I've just spun up a new Windows NT 4.0 VM using the standard template in VirtualBox 5.2.8 (albeit with RAM increased to 512MB and USB disabled) and followed the same install procedure as you so NT 4 SP1, SP6a and then GA.

All has installed without any issues and the display is now configured to 1280x1024 in true colour mode.

Can you post your .vbox configuration file for this VM and we can take a look to see if there is anything odd!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

My settings are a little different from what you described, I'm sure it's something in my settings screwing with things. I attached the .vbox file in a ZIP.
Attachments
Windows NT 4 Workstation.zip
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Apr 2018, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

I though Windows NT might have installed something wrong or something during setup, so I deleted the VM entirely and remade it. Now it's magically working.
Guess it's just a reminder of how an old OS can be inexplicably temperamental.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back. I'll mark the topic as solved, though it doesn't seem to have been a VirtualBox problem.